PDA

View Full Version : Columbia professor's anti-U.S. military call

thedrifter
03-28-03, 07:15 PM
Columbia professor's anti-U.S. military call

Friday, March 28, 2003 Posted: 6:00 PM EST (2300 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he would like to see "a million Mogadishus" -- referring to the 1993 ambush in Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali ambush -- "I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus" -- was largely met with silence.

A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

The university said in a statement that De Genova "was speaking as an individual at a teach-in. He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any way represent the views of Columbia University."

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after De Genova, said Friday, "I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers and "did not represent the general tone of the event, which was highly educational."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 09:06 PM
I think it's time to show Nickolas De Genova,an assistant professor of anthropology, the door.
As we boot his leftist a$$.
He teaches in American University and he call for the defeat of the Nation.
What an ingrate!
We should ship him and Ted Gull to Iraq.
I went looking for info on this a$$hole, but like all the idiots of the world.
They hide their faces so they don't have to take the heat.
Then university declaimer, we're not responsible for his speech.
There's another leftist professor on that faculity.
Angela Davis of the antiwar and a sworn communist.
Is there any balance to what they're teaching the young and impressional?
I bet NO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 09:08 PM
HEY, I signed that twice!!!
Well twice better than none!
IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

wrbones
03-28-03, 09:12 PM
http://www.columbia.edu/

http://theschool.columbia.edu/flash_site/main.htm

wrbones
03-28-03, 09:19 PM
I normally consider myself to be a bit right of center in my politics, however, the more of this type of thing that Ihear, the more inclined I am to go join an ultra ritght wing extremist group.

Look! There's a black helocopter now!

Free speech is one thing. I am all for it, for obvious reasons to follwo within my signature of this note.

I am sure you have individuals on your staff who can offer you the legal defintions of sedition and treason. In my opinion, your esteemed professor crossed this line quite blatantly.

Warren Bonesteel
SGT USMC 1976-1983

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 09:21 PM
Make that Ted Ralls instead of Gulls...how dumb we are!!!

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
03-28-03, 09:30 PM
That universities assets.....

SheWolf
03-28-03, 09:34 PM
I read this somewhere else but there's a paragraph missing,, wish I could remember it cuz it seems important

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 09:36 PM
The dean of the university is a professor of law.
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/president/images/bollinger.jpg

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/president/biography.html
His bio

From an article on military recruiting at Columbia University School of Law;
They have threatened to cut off approximately 70% of all federal funding - not just military funding - to the entire University, not just the Law School. This amount is approximately 300 million dollars. These funds support numerous faculty, students, and widespread research, including important health research. The loss of funding would essentially paralyze the entire research and educational operation of the University.

Maybe this should be call for till they muzzle that dog professor.
IMHO

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 09:37 PM
Make that the "President" of the University.
Sorry

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

JChristin
03-29-03, 12:38 PM
Reading his bio, I nearly fell off my chair, and I am sure Barrio-Rat will too when he learns this President guy hails from eastern Oregon. Born in California, raised in Baker (City), Oregon. The thumbing heart beat of redneck capital.

semper fi,
jchristin

Barrio_rat
03-29-03, 01:00 PM
Thanks, JChristin, I just needed to see that bio.... but, ya sparked my interest with yer comments.

Here's a few key points in his bio that let ya know, without ever hearing him say a word, what's going on inside his head and, once you've heard what he's said - inflamitory as it may be - you realize what he is and it really doesn't matter any more.

He's a graduate from the U of O... liberal breading ground from hell. Eugene makes the state of portland look like a bunch of conservitive right wing zealots. It is the hippie capital of the West Coast, yes the entire West Coast. Then, his wife is from there - so now, this poor soul has no counter to his way of thinking. It's all mirrored by his wife who has been brainwashed by the same people. If ya don't believe that, the evidence is in that they allowed their kid to go to Berkley, a school which promotes bigotry along with anti-American views.

I say, let Baker City have a "home coming" for this guy... ;)

thedrifter
03-29-03, 01:13 PM
March 29, 2003

At Columbia, Call for Death of U.S. Forces Is Denounced
By TAMAR LEWIN

The president of Columbia University said yesterday that he was horrified by the remarks of an anthropology professor who said at a campus antiwar teach-in Wednesday night that he hoped to see "a million Mogadishus" — referring to the city in Somalia where American soldiers were ambushed in a lethal firefight in 1993.

The professor, Nicholas De Genova, also called for the defeat of United States forces in Iraq, and said the only true heroes are those who help defeat the American military. He said Americans who call themselves patriots are imperialist white supremacists.

"Under well-established principles of the First Amendment, this is within a person's right to free speech," Lee C. Bollinger, the president of Columbia, said in an interview. "Not for a second, however, does that insulate it from criticism. I am shocked that someone would make such statements. I am especially saddened for the families of those whose lives are now at risk."

Those who attended the teach-in said most of the audience stayed silent at Professor De Genova's reference to the Mogadishu ambush, an event portrayed in the movie "Black Hawk Down." The raid, on Oct. 3, 1993, in which 18 Americans were killed and 75 injured — and the subsequent broadcast of images of a dead American being dragged through Mogadishu — prompted President Bill Clinton to order a withdrawal of troops from Somalia, where they had been sent to help relieve a famine.

"Professor De Genova's speech did not represent the views of the organizers," said Eric Foner, a history professor who was one of the teach-in's organizers. "I personally found it quite reprehensible. The antiwar movement does not desire the death of American soldiers. We do not accept his view of what it means to be a patriot. I began my talk, which came later, by repudiating his definition of patriotism, saying the teach-in was a patriotic act, that I believe patriots are those who seek to improve their country."

Professor De Genova's voice mail was not accepting messages yesterday. The anthropology department referred all calls concerning him to the public affairs office, where a spokesman said he had no further information on Professor De Genova, who is untenured and teaches anthropology and Latino studies.

The teach-in at Columbia, which went from 6 p.m. to midnight Wednesday and drew an audience of about 3,000, was organized by seven faculty members, who were joined by about two dozen other faculty members speaking on subjects like Middle East relations, civil liberties, pre-emptive war, the Geneva Conventions and Iraqi archaeological sites endangered by the war.

TO: Lee Bollinger, Pres of Columbia Univ
bollinger@columbia.edu

The remarks made this untenured Professor are shocking... bordering on support for terrorism... The FBI should call on him... the Univ should fire him... free speech is one thing.. advocating the death of American soldiers is quite another. Being horrified is not enough of a reaction.
Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL

Name: NICHOLAS PAUL DE GENOVA
Title: ASST PROF
Dept: ANTHROPOLOGY
Mail Addr: DEPT OF ANTHROPOLOGY
416 HAMILTON
mail code 2880
Phone: MS 4-0199
+1 212-854-0199
Fax: +1 212-854-0500
UNI: npd18
EMail: npd18@columbia.edu

Sempers,

Roger

Kalbo
03-29-03, 01:33 PM
I guess I'm not the only one ****ed off. This guy is an idiot in need of a village. He should remember that the first thing the warlords did in Somalia was to execute the intelluctuals (i.e Somalia with college degrees). He should be careful what he wishes for.

Semper Fi,

Bill "Kalbo" Long

lurchenstein
03-29-03, 06:38 PM
This professor should leave his profession out of his personal anti-American, anti-war views. Real anthropologists study humans, but they don't interfere in this way. If anything, he should present both sides of the Iraq war issues.:no: