PDA

View Full Version : Marines to 'promote' Jim Nabors in Waikiki ceremony

thedrifter
09-08-07, 09:26 AM
Updated at 10:30 a.m., Friday, September 7, 2007

Marines to 'promote' Jim Nabors in Waikiki ceremony

Advertiser Staff

Jim Nabors — star of the 1960s "Gomer Pyle, USMC" TV show — will be "promoted" to the rank of Honorary Corporal by Lt. Gen. John F. Goodman, commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific, in a special sunset ceremony set for 5:30 p.m. Sept. 25 at Kuroda Field, Fort DeRussy, Waikiki.

This promotion is in honor of Nabors' years of contribution to the Marine Corps' image worldwide through the TV show, and will be held on the 43rd anniversary of the show's premiere. The public is invited to the event.

On Sept. 25, 1964, Gomer Pyle marched into America's living rooms and put a human — and often humorous — face on the United States Marine Corps. "Gomer Pyle, USMC" proved that the Corps did possess a sense of humor and could laugh at itself. The show aired five years in prime time, and since then has run in syndication.

Gomer's honesty, loyalty and devotion to duty, Corps and country remain as cornerstone qualities of our Corps today, according to a news release issued today by The Marine Forces Pacific public affairs office at Camp H. M. Smith. The uniforms, the people and some of the social situations have changed over the years, but the Gomer of yesterday is still relevant today, exhibiting hallmarks of honor, courage and commitment, the release said.

Nabors was made an honorary Marine on Aug. 9, 2001, and received an honorary promotion to lance corporal at that time.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-08-07, 09:44 AM
http://www.timvp.com/gomer0.jpg

davy42055
09-08-07, 12:55 PM
Very nice..watched it all the time . :nerd:

sparkie
09-08-07, 12:58 PM
It's kinda funny to think there a few honorary Marines around, R Lee Ermy is another one. Congrats to them.

bigdog43701
09-08-07, 01:20 PM
well goooooooleeeeee

hrscowboy
09-08-07, 01:36 PM
Only a Corporal dang should have been a gunny over all those years..

sparkie
09-08-07, 01:39 PM
Now if he will sing the Marine Corps Hymn, Always loved his voice.

SgtHMH
09-08-07, 04:04 PM
The only thing that will be bad is Gunnery Sergeant Carter won't be there to see this Promotion to Cpl. The acter that played Gunny Carter passed away way back.

Semper Fi

hrscowboy
09-08-07, 04:06 PM
Thats a shame i didnt know he had passed..

LeonardLawrence
09-08-07, 08:27 PM
Just to clarify, R Lee Emery was a Marine, a SSGT with a medical discharge who went into acting. He later was awarded the honorary Gunnery Sgt....but the title is real! <br />
<br />
As for Jim...a Corporal??...

SlingerDun
09-08-07, 09:54 PM
Interesting how Gomers Senior D.I. Sergeant Carter transposed into his Platoon Sergeant and if i am not mistaken Corporal Boyle was his Junior D.I. and somehow ended up with Carter and Gomer in Division. Yet for all his blunders Private Pyle was sure handy at troubleshooting vehicles in the field, and he was one hell of a cook!

sparkie
09-08-07, 10:20 PM
My Mystake.... When I heard R Lee got honorary Gunny,, I thought he was an an honorary marine. I hope he can forgive me.

LeonardLawrence
09-08-07, 10:34 PM
I think it is a common mistake. If anyone is interested he has a webpage with some of his sounds, etc. This link is to his biography. Impressive fruit salad....but still shot a Pizza-Pizza with the rifle.....

http://www.rleeermey.com/about.php

:marine: 11 Years service, with Combat Action rRbbon and Vietnam service.....good enough for me!

I would have personally skipped the honorary rank and instead went with the honorary shooting skills of taking a sharpshooter or above.

(Sigh) Alas, some were born to shoot straight, the rest of us are just supressors....:thumbup: