PDA

View Full Version : Summer With the Drill Sergeant: Trading Internships for Boot Camp

thedrifter
09-07-07, 08:37 AM
Summer With the Drill Sergeant: Trading Internships for Boot Camp
By Daniella Zalcman
CU Columbia Spectator, NY
PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 7, 2007

While many Columbia students spent their summers taking classes or working at an assortment of internships, Alex Cook, CC ’09, headed to Quantico, Va., to attend the Marine Corps’ Officer Candidate School.

Tell me about OCS.

The program I did—[a] Platoon Leader’s Class—trains Marine Corps officers. It’s sort of equivalent to the military academy at West Point or the Naval Academy at Annapolis. It’s designed for college kids—you’re required to be enrolled in a four-year college. Essentially, you spend your summers training and, during the school year, you’re expected to take physical fitness tests regularly, stay in good shape, and keep up good grades.

What prompted you to enroll?

My interest in the military sort of came out of nowhere. I honestly just saw a flier sitting on the wall outside Butler Library, so I called a recruiter and he gave me the information. Most of the other kids who were there had much stronger ties to the Marines—their parents were officers, their grandparents were officers. They’ve wanted to do this their whole life. The moment I got there, I realized, “Wow—I am way out of my league.”

What were your superiors like?

The first thing you’re told about the staff that’s taking care of you is that these guys are here to make you Marines and make you officers, so don’t be surprised if they don’t seem human to you. And sure enough, the first thing you do—we call it pickup—you take all your stuff in a laundry bag out onto a tarmac, dump it all out, and they kick **** everywhere. You’re in this strange place that’s not your home, you’re away from your family, weird, scary men are screaming at you, and the only thing you have are your personal belongings, and now they’re all scattered. It’s the first test of being under pressure—you can’t be attached to anything, you have to be cool no matter what circumstances you’re in.

Did the food compare favorably to John Jay?

Well, you go into the chow hall shoulder to shoulder, desperately reaching for whatever you can get slapped on your plate. The food wasn’t bad, but every meal was kind of like a tornado.

What was your favorite part of OCS?

I was the platoon scribe, which was pretty cool. A week into training, the gunnery sergeant asked—and I quote—“Can anybody read and write good?” And I volunteered. Little did I know I was stepping into the position within the platoon that required the most ***** work you could ever imagine. Anytime lists had to be made, names had to be taken, forms had to be filled out, I was the one who had to do it. Frequently, I had to be up way later than everyone else working in my “office,” which was the first bathroom stall, because we couldn’t have lights on after lights out. People always had things they wanted me to do, and I said, “Meet in the office,” so they’d go sit down on a toilet and we’d talk.

Your favorite near-death experience?

I’d like to think that I’ve never been close to death.

Biggest irrational fear?

Needles. When I got to OCS, I had six shots and four vials of blood drawn, and it was the first time I had to do it without looking like a little girl. I’ve always had my mom or my sister there to hold my hand, and there I was trying to pretend that I’m not afraid of needles. I was green in the face.

Do you plan to continue the program next summer?

Once you’re done at Quantico, you’re actually going to Iraq, and then you’re responsible for the lives of 40 men. The program is made to break you if you can’t handle that. I think I’m going to go back and see what happens.

Alex rows for the lightweight crew team and is majoring in architecture with a concentration in mathematics.

Daniella Zalcman can be reached at Daniella.Zalcman@columbiaspectator.com.

Ellie