PDA

View Full Version : Weslaco’s Garcia set to fight Garvey on ‘Warriors Collide’ card

thedrifter
09-07-07, 08:28 AM
Weslaco’s Garcia set to fight Garvey on ‘Warriors Collide’ card
John Cannon/Mid-Valley Town Crier
September 7, 2007 - 12:41AM

McALLEN — Weslaco’s Robert “La Amenaza” Garcia said that he was glad to finally return home after weeks of training in Las Vegas in preparation for his upcoming fight.

“When we landed back in the Valley, I couldn’t stop looking out the window and think that I was so glad to be home,” Garcia said during Thursday afternoon’s news conference at Don Pepe’s restaurant. “As soon as I got off the plane, I took in a breath of fresh air.”

Garcia, ranked third in the world, will take on Vance Garvey of Indianapolis in the main event of Marines Promotions “Warriors Collide” on Saturday at Edinburg Baseball Stadium.

“I have been in Las Vegas training for this fight and now it is time for me to put all of the training into action, and what a better place than in the Rio Grande Valley,” said Garcia. “I have worked very hard for this fight and am ready to put on a good show Saturday.”

After this fight, Garcia will face Freddy Hernandez, who is ranked No. 10 in the world, for the vacant IBA welterweight title Nov. 30 in Brownsville. Garcia said that he hopes to become the first world champion ever to come out of the Valley.

“I am ready to make history here and become the first ever world champion that the Valley has produced,” Garcia said. “Currently, I am ranked No. 3 in the world and that is also a first in this area. But, winning the world title would be the highlight of my career. Who would have ever thought a kid from Reynosa, who started out making $40 a fight, would possibly become a world champion? I am just so grateful for the opportunity, but first I have to take care of business Saturday night.”

Julio Marines, president of Marines Promotions, said that he is excited about the upcoming fight night at Edinburg Baseball Stadium.

“It is going to be a great night of boxing, with the pride of the Rio Grande Valley Robert Garcia headlining the event,” Marines said. “And what a better place than Edinburg Baseball Stadium where there are no bad seats in the house. In fact, it is like watching baseball and the boxing ring is on the pitchers mound.

“We have seven terrific fights on Saturday and some of the best local talent, as well as talent from across the United States and Mexico.”
Marines also talked about the Nov. 30 fight and announced that an ex-world champion would be in the co-main event.

“Along with the excellent title fight between Robert and Freddy, we will have the two-time world champion Yori Boy Campas fighting that night,” Marines said. “Campas has been in the ring with the likes of Oscar De La Hoya and Tito Trinidad. It is going to be an historic night for the Valley, and we hope that the local boxing fans will come out and support Robert as he makes his quest to become the first world champion here.”

Ellie