PDA

View Full Version : Marines welcomed aboard for race

thedrifter
09-07-07, 05:59 AM
Friday, September 7, 2007
Marines welcomed aboard for race
Newport invites warriors from Pendleton to ride along during 'Beer Can' competition.
By LAYLAN CONNELLY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

NEWPORT BEACH - Tae McNeelege stood on the side of the 50-foot boat It's OK and yelled out to a Marine on a nearby boat gliding by in the Newport Harbor.

"What are you doing on the losing boat?" he shouted to the man decked out in uniform, standing at the back of the sleek sailboat Bolt.

A little competitive spirit never hurt.

The two Marines were joined Thursday evening by about 30 others from Camp Pendleton, invited by the Balboa Yacht Club for the last of the "Beer Can" sailboat races.

The 1st Battalion, 1st Marines were adopted by Newport Beach in 2003. Most of the 1/1 were recently sent to Iraq, but several who stayed behind showed up to represent their group. Members of the Wounded Warrior Battalion were also invited.

The night wasn't just about giving Marines a break. The club also collected items Marines have asked for while in Iraq. Sailors showed up with bags and boxes full of basic needs such as toothpaste, coffee and board games.

Before the race started, crew member Stephen Fredrick made an announcement.

"I know a couple of these guys have been wounded," he said, turning to the four Marines aboard the It's OK. "It's an honor to have you on this boat."

As the boat passed bayfront homes, Keene Sherburne from the Wounded Warrior Battalion waved to the people sitting on decks, his legs hanging over the side of the boat.

"Any opportunity to drink beer and get on the water, I won't turn down," said Sherburne, 21.

Sherburne has two Purple Hearts. He pointed out five plates on the left side of his face, two screws, shoulder reconstruction, shrapnel in his hip. He is going through brain therapy.

"It feels good that people are out there who care about us," Sherburne said.

The city has raised about $250,000 for the 1/1, said City Manager Homer Bludau.

This is the first time the community has come forward to get involved, something Bludau encourages others to do.

About 50 boats race during the "Beer Can" races, held on a 4-mile course. Marines were treated to Heinekens and a lesson in sailing.

Stephen Holly, a Marine from the 1/1, was all smiles as he walked on the deck after the race, despite a minor shin wound suffered when he slipped.

"I think Newport Beach knows how to throw a party," said Holly, who was not sent to Iraq because his time is up in 16 days.

He said he couldn't fully enjoy himself knowing his comrades were in Iraq.

"Every last one of them deserves this more than I do," he said.

Contact the writer: 714-445-6678 or lconnelly@ocregister.com

Ellie