PDA

View Full Version : IST times for females?

USMC2003
07-21-02, 12:21 AM
I've heard too many different IST standards for Females shipping to Parris Island.

First I was told that a 1.5 in less than 14:30 was necessary, now I'm told that 1.5 in 13:30 is required for the DEP, and a 1.5 12:30 to ship out...

Are these times accurate for females? They sound like the times I heard for male recruits.

I'll be the first to admit I'm stuck at a 14:00 1.5 mile. No matter what I do I can't seem to go any faster than that... and trust me, I've tried and am still trying.

I am sure I can make the 13:30, but the 12:30 (I'd aim for a 12 or less)... not too sure. I may have only a month to aim for this goal, if indeed, it is correct... I have no tracks around here, and I already do windsprints and hills, so does anyone have any other type of suggestions for speedwork?

Thanks!

Sixguns
07-21-02, 09:24 AM
Males are required to complete the run in less than 12:30. Females have a minute longer. Remember, this is the established standard. Commanders can waiver or request a waiver from a higher authority if an applicant does not meet any IST requirement before ship day. At this point (getting a waiver) you are a marked man/woman. Folks at MCRD will be paying particularly close attention to your IST and physical progress.

My recommendation is to practice for the real thing. Find a stretch of road and mark out 1.5 miles. Run that route every other day, as fast as you can. On the days in between, run three, .25 mile segments as fast as you can. Run the segments with at least a ten minute break in between. Hill work and windsprints will help you too.

avila
07-22-02, 10:01 AM
A correction to the IST times.

Male applicants have 13:30 to run the 1.5 miles run, 2 minutes to do 44 crunches, and need to complete 2 pullups.

Female applicants have 15:00 to run the 1.5 mile run, 2 minutes to do 44 cruches, and need to complete a 44 second Flex Arm hang.

jv3074
07-22-02, 11:37 AM
Is the time limit for the 3 mile run still 18 minutes? After a night of whiskey sours I did it on the second day. You ran it every day till you did it in 18 minutes or less.

JV

USMC2003
07-22-02, 01:39 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong...
Isn't Male time for the 3 mile between 18-28?
And female time for the 3 mile between 21-31?

Of course we shoot for the First Class PT, but overall, those are the time limitations, correct? If you run faster than those times, though, even better for you.

Avila- Thanks. Pushing I can run a 1.5 in 13:15, but it's extremely painful later. Just glad to know I can make the cut with a little time to spare... the more time to spare, the better off I will be. I'm going to try to aim for a 12:00-13:00 1.5 mile, just for the sake of setting a goal to achieve.

Are treadmills good for anything besides keeping pace? I run a 1.5 slower on a treadmill than I ever have because I like to speed up when I can, and slow down slightly for stitches or breathers... and you can't do that easily on a treadmill.

Thanks, all, for the responses.