PDA

View Full Version : Local man excels in Marine Corps

thedrifter
09-06-07, 08:47 AM
Local man excels in Marine Corps

By Jon Johnson, Assistant Editor
Eastern Arizona Courier, AZ

Safford graduate John Fitzgerald III impressed his superiors in the United States Marine Corps and earned the title of “Honor Grad” for having the top graduating score in his class.

After training, the cadets are tested on all they have learned, including physical tests and knowledge of their vehicle. Fitzgerald scored a 99.864 out of a possible 100.

Fitzgerald completed a 13-week boot camp and 4-1/2 weeks of combat training before training to drive a troop transport amphibious assault vehicle for his military operations specialty.

He had signed up to drive an Abrams battle tank, but he scored so well on his swimming test that he was switched to an amphibious vehicle.

The military brass was so impressed with Fitzgerald’s acumen they decided to promote him to lance corporal, John Jr., Fitzgerald’s father said.

“To have that done within seven months is almost unheard of,” John Jr. said. “The commander who gave him his award said he was nine months to a year ahead of everybody else.”

Fitzgerald is projected to make full corporal in May 2008.

His father said that while Fitzgerald had many options here, he felt it was his duty to his country to enlist in the Marines.

“My son could have gone to any college he wanted to,” John Jr. said. “He had a job working for the Forest Service, and he gave that up to join the Marines.”

Fitzgerald is stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina in the Marines’ Second Tract-Bravo Compa-ny, Second Platoon.

His platoon is scheduled to leave for Iraq in April 2008.

John Jr. said he wished his son would have been able to get his tour in Iraq over as soon as possible rather than later. He fears the situation in Iraq will turn bloodier once the troops begin to pull out.

John Jr. also said he wishes his son had a different job than the one he’s doing because it’s one of the most dangerous positions in Iraq.

Fitzgerald will be driving his vehicle along Iraq’s roads, transporting troops into and out of battle. One of the insurgents’ favorite attack methods is a road- side bomb known as an “improvised explosive device” or IED.

According to the Web Site GlobalSecurity.org, Iraq is considered one of the most mine-infested nations in the world with approximately 10 million mines in the ground as of 2003.

“I think he picked the worst job he could’ve got, but he told me somebody has to do it,” John Jr. said.

Ellie