PDA

View Full Version : Air Force official fired after 6 nukes fly over U.S.

LCPLE3
09-05-07, 09:33 PM
B-52 bomber, accidentally armed with warheads, went over several states

WASHINGTON - A B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across several states last week, prompting an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

Rep. Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, called the mishandling of the weapons “deeply disturbing” and said the committee would press the military for details. Rep. Edward J. Markey, a senior member of the Homeland Security committee, said it was “absolutely inexcusable.”

“Nothing like this has ever been reported before and we have been assured for decades that it was impossible,” said Markey, D-Mass., co-chair of the House task force on nonproliferation.

The plane was carrying Advanced Cruise Missiles from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale AFB La., on Aug. 30, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of a Defense Department policy not to confirm information on nuclear weapons.

The missiles, which are being decommissioned, were mounted onto pylons on the bomber’s wings and it is unclear why the warheads had not been removed beforehand. Earlier, the Associated Press erroneously reported the bomber was armed with only five warheads.

Investigation to take weeks
The Air Combat Command has ordered a command-wide stand down on Sept. 14 to review procedures, officials said. They said there was minimal risk to crews and the public because of safety features designed into the munitions.
In addition to the munitions squadron commander who was relieved of his duties, crews involved with the mistaken load — including ground crew workers — have been temporarily decertified for handling munitions, one official said.

The investigation is expected to take several weeks. The incident was first reported by Military Times newspaper group.

“There is no more serious issue than the security and proper handling of nuclear weapons,” Skelton said in a statement Wednesday. “The American people, our friends, and our potential adversaries must be confident that the highest standards are in place when it comes to our nuclear arsenal.”
Skelton, D-Mo., said his committee will pursue answers on the classified matter “to ensure that the Air Force and the Department of Defense address this particular incident and strengthen controls more generally.”

ivalis
09-06-07, 05:02 PM
Seems to me we are, at least in part, in Iraq because somebody couldn't keep track of WMDs.

UF DA!

ggyoung
09-06-07, 06:27 PM
In the frist part of 1967 whyle at 29 Palms 5th 8in howitzer SP went to Palms Springs air port to get our 2 nuk rounds. They were flown in on a Western Airlines 707. I wonder what the passengers thought when there plain was surrounded by armed Marines. To this day I bet they never knew the were siting on 2 8in. howitzer rounds. There was noway they could have gone BANG. they were not asembled yet. STILL?

Alphaonethree
09-06-07, 07:02 PM
Pulled duty with the NOP in 29 palms,

Osotogary
09-06-07, 07:09 PM
This doesn't surprise me. It seems that nowadays, due to job related demands and time concerns on both management and labor force, in the private sector or otherwise, "cutting corners", intentionally or not, is becoming the norm. Somebody slacked off on this one and no one was hurt. Whew!!

ggyoung
09-06-07, 07:59 PM
Alpha I wonder if it is still there? Anybody Know?

Zulu 36
09-06-07, 09:33 PM
Nukes are serious business in the Air Force. Priority A resources are a shoot first-ask questions later kind of thing (literally).

People are making a big deal out of the "They flew nukes OVER the U.S.!!!" So what? That isn't the big deal, it used to be routine. Only a bit more hazardous than flying HE bombs, which IS routine.

The true big deal was losing track of them at home base. Many more heads will roll over this one.

Alphaonethree
09-06-07, 10:25 PM
ggYoung. I dont know. My son was stationed out there for a while and he never heard of it, Now that could be by design or it could just be gone now.

Gary Hall
09-06-07, 10:29 PM
I see no problem moving the nukes around, and I would vote for and support getting more practice with the weapons in the future. I predict there's gonna come a time when we all will hope we still have some nukes and someone who knows how to use them. In the world I see only 2 groupings of peoples, doers and talkers. I find talkers abhor any sort of doing, as doing requires sweat, labor and risk, unlike too much of talking, which gets the center stages and requires no specific ability other than the ability to be a clown or "entertainer". Anyhow, no matter where I am forced to stand, I stand with ISRAEL. Gary Hall, W-3-1, (once upon a time), Tyler, TX.

SlingerDun
09-06-07, 10:39 PM
Ever seen drunken polluted pilots lean back and place a stack of coin pesos on their foreheads only to have them dissapear into a Pillipina bar girls errr innards? I did and maybe a week later watched these same men spend some 2 hours skittish as cats in a chinese kitchen meticulously inspecting a nuclear warhead that was being attached too their A7. Details would make for a better story but nobody reading this post needs to hear such details about nuclear weapon security even though this vessel has long since been decomissioned current protocol may be similar. So lets just say we got a good look at each other standing under that hot I.O. sun and i grinned at those pilots. One looked at me kinda confused and nodded the other was kinda sheepish, Ha.

They were Naval Aviators.

--->Dave

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
09-08-07, 08:46 PM
I agree with the "SO WHAT" statement. The press and, lets admit it, officials have people in this country scared of their own shadows. Consider them constantly trotting out the ultimate Bogey Man, Usama (The reason they can't find this character is he is wearing a dirt blanket somewhere), and his ilk.

FistFu68
09-08-07, 09:31 PM
:evilgrin: NUKE'EM TILL THEY GLOW~THEN SHOOT THEM IN THE DARK :evilgrin: