PDA

View Full Version : Berkley mom gives a happy birthday to Marines stationed in Iraq

thedrifter
09-05-07, 04:54 PM
Berkley mom gives a happy birthday
to Marines stationed in Iraq

By Jennie Miller
C & G Staff Writer

http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Articles/2007/9-05-07/images/FL-MarineMom.jpg

Photo by Jeremy Carroll
A worker moves dirt at a potential outdoor field at Soccer City. Township officials recently authorized their attorney to inform the company they are in default of their lease with the township.

BERKLEY — It was hard enough for Berkley resident Mary Jerome to imagine her son, Cody, 22, stationed in Iraq with the U.S. Marines, far from home, far from friends and far from family.

But when she realized that some of his troop mates were feeling even more alone, with no mail, no packages and no birthday greetings from the states, she knew it was time to act.

“Most of the guys have families that are sending them stuff over,” Jerome explained. “But Cody told me there were a few guys who weren’t getting any packages. I thought, the best thing I could do would be to put something together for all of them on a special day, to make sure that everybody over there got something.”

Jerome, a 1973 graduate of Berkley High School, is now known as the “Birthday Mom,” as she has sent birthday care packages to many of the 138 Marines she calls “my boys.”

“Cody managed to get me most of the birth dates,” said Jerome, who began her project in April. “But for those who already had their birthdays, I chose the six-month mark, just so they get something.”

Cody Jerome and his troop mates in the 1st Battalion, 12th Marine, Charlie Battery, are stationed at Camp Fallujah in Iraq.

“He drives a Humvee in a convoy,” Jerome explained. “Their job is to guard the shipments that are coming in from the docks and take them to the camps.”

Ziploc plastic bags are a hot item for Marines, Jerome said, so she uses them to hold other items she sends, such as sample bottles of shampoo, razors, toothbrushes small bottles of deodorant, foot powder, hard candy, Slim Jims, Power Bars, stationery, Sudoku puzzles and an American flag for each soldier.

But being a single mom, with Cody’s sisters Kasey, 18, and Amy, 17, to take care of, Jerome was starting to hurt from the project financially.

“I sent a letter to the (Berkley Chamber of Commerce),” she said. “They got me some donations. Everyone’s been absolutely fantastic. I would like to thank them all.”

Those stepping forward included members of the Berkley Junior Women’s Club, employees at Berkley City Hall, Berkley Mayor Marilyn Stephan, Murray’s Auto in Royal Oak, residents at Oxford Park Towers, Huntington Cleaners, Mr. And Mrs. Raymond Sands, Lorraine Remington, Sunshine Medical in Livonia, and even Karen and Lawrence Badgerow of the Apple Tree Inn in Petoskey, who also got the Days Inn and EconoLodge in Petoskey to join in. Lawrence Badgerow is a Berkley High alumnus.

“It’s been kind of amazing,” Jerome said, adding that people donated money for postage, bubble wrap envelopes to assist with shipping, as well as other gift items and toiletries.

“I don’t think their birthdays should be missed,” said Melissa Alliet, a Berkley native and service manager at Huntington Cleaners who stepped forward and donated 100 bubble envelopes, as well as other items like Coffee-Mate, stationery, photo albums, soap, toothpaste, tissue, miniature mirrors, mouthwash and toilet paper. “Every time I go shopping, I grab a few things.”

Those interested in helping Jerome with her good deeds can do so by calling (248) 765-9816 or by dropping off donations at 2313 Mortenson.

“The guys have told Cody to tell me, ‘Thank you,’” Jerome said humbly. “I didn’t do this to get recognized. I just want them to know we’re thinking of them.”

You can reach Staff Writer Jennie Miller at jmiller@candgnews.com or at (586) 279-1108.

Ellie