PDA

View Full Version : Children see parents fly off to Iraq

thedrifter
09-05-07, 03:05 PM
Children see parents fly off to Iraq

By BILL HENDRICK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/06/07

Ten-year-old Caleb Judkins is a bit anxious about the next seven months, and not just because his dad, Marine Maj. Jim Judkins, will miss his soccer games and Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"I will miss his loving voice," says Caleb, an earnest fifth-grader in Kennesaw. "I'll miss building Legos with him. I'll be sad because he won't be around. He's my dad. I'll be worried."

Judkins, a helicopter pilot, waved goodbye to his wife, Heather, and their three other children before heading out on a great big bird Tuesday from Naval Air Station Atlanta in Marietta with 260 other Marines for a seven-month tour in Iraq. The plane took off from the adjacent Dobbins Air Reserve Base.

"Leaving is by far the worst part of deployment," said Judkins, who's served two stints in Afghanistan. "You don't get used to the goodbyes. But this is what I do, what I love to do, and it's time again to do it."

The Marines are members of Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 773, which will be providing air support for troops in Al Anbar province.

Prior to departure, officers strode around, many armed with pistols strapped to their sides. Enlisted men slung M-16s around their backs.

"This will be my first time in Iraq," said Lance Cpl. James Tomville, 23, of Hamilton.

"This is what I signed up to do, and now it's time, I guess."

He said he and his mom agreed it would be best if she stayed home.

"She don't like to say 'goodbye,' " he said. "She likes, 'See you later.' "

Rachel Johnson, 24, of Tifton doubts she'll ever get used to this. Her husband, Cpl. Stanley Johnson, 26, just re-enlisted after four years, including a stint in Afghanistan. Their two children, Chandler, 17 months, and Aubrie Jade, 7 months, are too young to know what's happening.

"I will miss my husband terribly, but I will have something to keep my mind off him," she said, referring to the babies. "At bedtime, though, I'm by myself, and it's very hard.

"But the kids love their Daddy. The little one is saying 'da da da,' and they want him here to hold them," she said. "It's a sacrifice, but a lot of people are making it."

The Marines depend upon volunteers like Heather Judkins, Caleb's mom, to help keep things running smoothly on the home front. She leads a support group called Key Volunteers, with 42 members.

Each volunteer notifies 10 Marine families "about things we need to know and things they need to know there, like about a new baby," she said. "We are trained to help out in any kind of situation, if someone needs a washing machine repaired or has car trouble or financial trouble or emotional problems.

"We're all a Marine family, and we all have shoulders for everyone else," she added.

Johnson also is a Key Volunteer and says the group "is just a wonderful thing."

Though there were many tears when the Marines departed, so many of the family members have gone through this so many times before that for some, stoicism prevailed.

"We'll be in touch by e-mail, that's the glorious thing," said Kelly Ozmer, a 20-year-old student at Kennesaw State University whose father, Lt. Col. Paul Ozmer, was one of those deployed. "It really helps us cope."

But the Marines were headed off to war, and the younger children appeared to be most upset.

"I just want Dad to stay," said Caleb, his piercing eyes a little moist. His sisters and brother agreed.

"I'm going to miss Daddy," said Abigail, 5. "He tucks me in, and now Mommy will do that."

Six-year-old Phoebe pointed to her missing two front teeth. "They'll be grown back when he comes home."

And Joshua, 9, added: "We just learn somehow to deal with it, but we know it'll be sad."

Marine Lt. Col. Allan Jarvis, 46, deployed for the second time, leaving his wife and three children, one in college and the other two at Kell High School in Marietta.

"It's tough leaving when my boys are the age they are, 16 and 14," he said. "Now is when they need mentoring. It's going to be tough on the Marines, but it's a lot tougher on the families.

"This is our job," he said. "They get to stay home and do everything — and wait. I'm sure they miss me when I'm gone, but they're proud, and that means a lot.

"They understand what my job is and what we are doing."

The volunteers have created a Web site that will be updated both from home and in Iraq.

"The departure is one of the worst parts of deployment, bar none, and the weeks leading up to it," said Maj. Judkins.

"But this is what we do."

His wife looked up affectionately at her tall, hulking husband, called "Jethro" by his pals.

"We're proud," she said. "We're very proud."

Ellie