PDA

View Full Version : Town Bans War Tributes on Public Property

thedrifter
03-28-03, 10:48 AM
Mar 28, 11:35 AM EST

Town Bans War Tributes on Public Property

FIELDSBORO, N.J. (AP) -- Yellow ribbons and all other war memorials have been banned from public property here, a decision that has drawn criticism from residents and business owners who want to show their support for American troops fighting in Iraq.

The Fieldsboro Borough Council approved the ban last week, but Mayor Edward "Buddy" Tyler said it does not prohibit residents from placing memorials on their own property. He said that while town officials "certainly recommend" that residents show their support for the troops, there were other concerns that must be recognized.

"Where would you draw a line if you started allowing the use of public property to exhibit whatever cause anyone wanted?" Tyler told The Trentonian of Trenton for Friday's editions. "Suppose someone wants to tie pink ribbons, or black flags, or a Confederate flag or a Nazi flag on public property?"

Diane Johnson, who along with her husband owns a liquor store in this Burlington County town, said she was unaware of the new rule until the township told her to remove the yellow ribbons she placed on a sign that welcomes travelers to the borough.

"I'm shocked and outraged," Johnson said. "They didn't obstruct the sign in any way, and a lot of people with family members in the war came into the store to tell me how seeing the ribbons gave them a lift."

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
03-28-03, 11:09 AM
That is just WRONG!! I think we need to take a fire team up there and have a little chat with them!

Sgt Sostand
03-28-03, 11:14 AM
what da heck ya! that town need a good fire fight i think their to many people in this country that dont belong here.

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 11:20 AM
From the state that home to the crossing of the Delware river at Trenton New Jersey!
God, what has this nation come to?
First the removal of God from public buildings, to now the banning of signs and memorials to our present war on terrorism in Iraq.
Some should look back in history to the times before 1776 and what some of those patroits said.
Starting with Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine and George Washington to name a few.
God save us from each other.
insanity in New Jersey to say the least.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

firstsgtmike
03-28-03, 11:25 AM
One one hand, you could make a case that if it is "public property", the public has rights to it.

On the other hand, the Mayor has a valid point, and if one cedes the point to him, he better enforce the ruling ANYTIME ANYONE posts something on "public property".

For example, telephone poles on city streets are considered "public property". The next time a politicians poster is tacked to one, I'd wait until three in the morning to call him at home and complain.

MillRatUSMC
03-28-03, 11:48 AM
Now a thought comes to mind...what about all these anti-war posters or signs.
If they were to removed those, the ant-war idoits would yell bloody murder.
That their rights to freedom of speech were being violated.
So what about our rights to place signs and memorials.
The silent majority has no rights but the anti-war have all the rights in the world.
What an insanity!

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

mrbsox
03-28-03, 12:34 PM
Begining to wonder...

If you can't POST on Public property, should you be able to PROTEST on Public property?

Free speech is Free speech, but you can't FORCE your views upon others. Maybe they should also enforce protesting on private property also.

SHOOTER1
03-28-03, 01:29 PM
firstsgtmike, I really like the way you think,that sounds like a plan to me.:banana:

NEWB
03-29-03, 01:43 AM
firstsgtmike, as usual you hit the nail on the head. It seems to many people in "POLITICS" seem to forget the phrase "WE THE PEOPLE" :marine:

lurchenstein
03-29-03, 07:35 PM
Town Bans War Tributes on Public Property

Fortunately. I see plenty of yellow ribbons & the Star and Stripes flying in my city. Hope the ban doesn't set a precedent (then I'd really be worried about this nation).:no:

mrbsox
04-10-03, 05:04 PM
While staying in South Jersey (Runnemeade), I was glad to see not ony Flags, but Yellow Ribbons on PUBLIC PROPERTY.

A wonderfulsight, as nearly every other light pole had a Flag on display, with Ribbons attached.

Take THAT, Fieldsboro. :banana: :banana: