PDA

View Full Version : Love has the power to transform

thedrifter
09-05-07, 08:45 AM
LOVE LINES: Love has the power to transform
By Lollie Schweitzer

Dear Lollie,

A recent letter to the editor of the Aspen Times, written by the parents of a marine in Iraq, prompted me to write to the marine as the parents suggested. I have enclosed the letter to the editor and the reply I received from the marine. I thought perhaps you could use these letters as an illustration of what can happen in the compassionate and loving exchange of human beings. Thank you.

A concerned mother

Dear concerned mother,

Thank you for making me aware of this story. We don’t usually think about the honorable intentions and subsequent sufferings of our troops when they go to war.

Although the parents of the badly wounded marine sergeant were not supportive of the war, they made it very clear that the men and women who are serving in Iraq are to be commended for their efforts. They also expressed their concern regarding the military contractors making huge profits through the political and corporate military machine, where corruption is running rampant. It saddens one’s heart to think that there are some people who will exploit the lives of others for their own financial and/or political gain, however, we have to remember that mistreatment of others has been going on since time or humanity, as we know it, began.

There will always be people like that in the world until everyone should wake up to the truth and the loving reason they are here. That could take many more centuries because too many people prefer to stay in the unconscious thought system that promotes pain and suffering as well as greed, arrogance and pride. It seems to be a big part of the human condition because they can’t understand that there is a better and more loving way to live.

As I read the marine’s letter to you, I was deeply touched by his appreciation for your supportive note. He expressed that many of the troops in Iraq feel like they have been forgotten, “but people like you give them hope in what they are doing.” The loyalty that the marines share with one another is remarkable. He is fully recovered and back on the road with his “boys” and happy to be so. What a beautiful example these marines are of love, caring and mutual cooperation for all of humanity!

Both of these letters, written out of love and concern for other human beings, demonstrate the power of the human spirit when it is allowed to open within an individual. When we do that there is a true exchange of love that lifts the spirit of one or both of the people involved. That is the type of human connection that has the power to save the world from its insanity. Your making these letters available to me and the readers of this column, will allow even more people to experience that loving, human exchange.

I see this as a wonderful opportunity for all of us to think about how we can participate more in the loving human exchange of which we are capable. If we really open our eyes and ears we can see that love is going on around us every day. We are moving to a more world centric type of consciousness.

I have often spoken about the planetary shift in consciousness that is taking place today, and the letters you sent to me are a perfect example of that. There are so many programs as well as individuals who are making a difference whenever and wherever they can. I have just finished reading a wonderful book entitled, “Three Cups of Tea” which tells the story of how Greg Mortenson was climbing K2, got lost and came upon a village in Pakistan that had no school because of poverty. He had tea with the village leader and that experience changed his life as he promised to build a school for the people in the village. He has since built not just one school but 55 schools in a remote region of Pakistan that gave birth to the Taliban. Many more people like Greg Mortenson are recognizing the needs of others around the world and responding in love to that need. Interestingly enough, most of those people responding to the need for help are Americans.

There are programs that help women in developing countries with micro-finance loans to operate their own businesses. This affords those women the ability to educate their children or provide other needs. More and more young people are lending their teaching talents to those in countries where they have no other prospects for getting an education. Schools and orphanages are being built in Africa and American celebrities are lending their voices to create awareness for needs in other parts of the world. Celebrities are also promoting education regarding concern for the environment and how we all have to take personal responsibility, as well as work together, to save our planet. As all of this unfolds more women are becoming empowered in those developing countries. I see it as a resurgence of the sacred feminine, which will play a big part in bringing about the much-needed balance to our unstable world.

Some readers may feel compelled to jump in and do whatever they can do. Others may not even care. We each have to decide what is important for us as individuals. Ultimately, it is going to take all of us to improve the state of our world and we all know it is a world filled with strife.

Coming together in love and caring cooperation, as each sees fit, is where it will all begin.

Love and blessings!

Lollie Schweitzer is a spiritual counselor and a columnist for the Snowmass Sun. For further questions or comments she can be reached via e-mail: lollie@sopris.net

Ellie