PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Hero Enters Ring For Combat

thedrifter
09-05-07, 08:01 AM
IRAQ HERO ENTERS RING FOR COMBAT

By GEORGE WILLIS
New York Post

September 5, 2007 -- When you consider Brian Stann's day job, competing in mixed martial arts might seem like recess.

Stann, 26, is a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps, with two tours in Iraq and a Silver Star already on his resume. Yes, a Silver Star for heroism.

In 2005, Stann and 44 Marines under his command faced machine-gun fire, explosive devices, suicide bombers and booby traps during a week-long mission to seize hostile area around a bridge. A U.S. tank was hit and four Marines were wounded during the series of attacks. But there were no American casualties, and the mission was completed successfully.

That's why Jeremiah Billington shouldn't try to trash talk or employ any other means of intimidation tonight when he faces Stann in a World Extreme Cage Fighting match in Las Vegas. The Versus Network will televise.

Stann is 4-0 in MMA, while remaining on active duty at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He was introduced to MMA as part of his Marine Corps basic training after graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy, where he was a linebacker on the football team.

"I knew I was going to be going to Iraq and being in mixed martial arts was great preparation," Stann said. "When you're leading men into combat, mentally, you have to be sharp and very calm and make decisions on your feet. It's the same thing in the cage."

Leading men into combat "is the most rewarding experience I'll ever have," Stann said.

Now he currently commands 700 to 800 Marines, training them to go to Iraq.

Actually, Stann, who turns 27 later this month, already has lived quite a life. He earned the Silver Star, was recognized for his service by President Bush during a ceremony honoring the Navy football team. He married his college sweetheart, proposing during halftime of an Eagles game, completed two tours in Iraq and, oh, his nickname is "All-American."

Billington (9-1), a 5-foot-9 block of muscle, probably isn't impressed. He'll look to take the fight to the floor, while Stann prefers to fight on his feet.

"I like to go out there and have an uptempo type of fight," Stann said. "But I'm always looking to finish fights."

george.willis@nypost.com

Ellie