PDA

View Full Version : Feelings Of Guilt For Our Fallen Bretheren..

Marinesniperc69
09-05-07, 01:43 AM
I am a 100% disabled vet who was injured during peacetime and I served my country and my CORPS honorably during my time in the Marines. The problem I have is that I am now seeing all of these kids shipping off to war and many of them losing thier lives and I feel like there isn't a damn thing I can do to help. I feel so guilty for not having served my time during war, and I feel so undeserving of my title sometimes because I feel like since I never served in a war that I somehow didn't "earn" the title. I am sure it is just sadness at the death of so many of my brothers and sisters, but I just wish there was more that I could do to help. Am I the only one that feels like this, or are there others out there who struggle with the same emotions?

Marinesniperc69 :iwo:

SlingerDun
09-05-07, 03:34 AM
Perhaps when planning out the big circle called life somebody upstairs figured you did not need the experience of war. maybe you had seen it before?

Apparently you were tagged with a pretty heavy cross as a substitute. Dont beat yourself up pard, living is harder than dying. It sounds like you may have some experience and can help by doling out advice to the pups on these boards.

--->Dave

dejavu
09-05-07, 09:43 AM
You stood your watch when your country called, more than a bunch of people did, so don't you feel guilty about anything.

jetdawgg
09-05-07, 09:58 AM
When it comes to being a Marine, you need not make any apologies to anyone. You earned the title. We know what you are capable of.:usmc:

SF

mrbsox
09-05-07, 12:44 PM
Your PROFILE doesn't give us much to go on, but welcome aboard. Seabag in the corner, dig around the threads, and buy as many drinks as you can afford.

My service time fell in the 'cold war' era, and without conflict also. Don't rate the 'firewatch' (National Defense) medal. Found out a few years back that I don't rate wearing 'BLUES' in a civilian setting (weddings, funerals, etc) since I don't wear the medal, per MarAdmn xxxx?????

Yeah... I feel short changed sometimes. But that doesn't keep me from showing my pride or colors. Doesn't keep me from standing tall and crying my eyes out everytime I hear our National Anthem, or our Hymn.

If you stood on those foot prints, and heard your SDI yell
PLATOON XXXX....... DISMISSED
... then you EARNED the title. No one can EVER take that away, without YOUR consent.

Welcome aboard.... MARINE :flag:

SEMPER FI

Marinesniperc69
09-05-07, 02:00 PM
Thank you mrbsox. I know that I am a Marine, and that I earned the title...It is just so hard sometimes to see all these hard chargers going into combat knowing that I will never be able to do that...

jetdawgg
09-05-07, 02:31 PM
Marines keep America safe at night. It is brutal and mean men like us that allow the other Americans to sleep.

Marines don't set policy, we just implement it. Whether it is peace time or in a war effort. You served as a Marine. What else can anyone ask of you?:usmc:

If someone is f@cking with you over it, let me know

SF

RLeon
09-05-07, 04:33 PM
Don't dispair Marine! You did your time and as long as you seved honorably you have nothing to feel bad about, plus there's plenty you can do to support to your brothers in arms. There a organizations that you can contribute to that send much needed supplies and such to fellow Leathernecks and other troops in country, and support the wounded.

Here's a favorite of mine; http://www.woundedwarriors.org/

Hey, you can even donate $$ or send needed equipment to snipers
http://americansnipers.org/donate.html

Scottyva
09-05-07, 05:21 PM
My Brother in the Corps i also served during the Cold War. The best way to honor our brothers and sisters currently serving is to go to their funerals and say Semper Fi. Also raising your voice when they are being ridiculed is another way to keep in the loop.

sparkie
09-05-07, 06:02 PM
You carry "Survivors Guilt". Something rarely talked about, But a lot of us "warm" Marines around here have. It's a part of us, and sometimes why we are here on this site. You are very welcome here. We understand you Marine. Semper Fi.

mrbsox
09-05-07, 07:24 PM
Marines 'TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN', as we all know. But I have also found that there are other ways to 'support and defend' than by just serving. ALL Marines don't make it to combat, but those that do are supported by EVERY OTHER Marine.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20111&highlight=mout

Yeah... this is mostly Army training that comes thru here, with an occasional SEAL team or Guard unit. But I have found that it has filled a great hole in this old jarheads soul. If I can do something that brings just one back home alive, then I'm still serving.

My point is, you don't have to lace up a pair of boots to fill your soul. This woks for me because I'm away from home and family all week, and can do it. If I had to choose between this and the C.O., it would be a tough call.

Like pointed out above, there are other things that you can do. Find a Marine Corps league. A boy scout troop, and mentor to TOMORROWS Marines. I don't know what your 100% entails, and it really doesn't matter. You have a skill, but no outlet for it to grow.

Time will bring it to you, with faith.

Semper Fi

sgt tony
09-05-07, 07:56 PM
You have served your time and you will always be a Marine. I to am a 100% and yes I have felt the same as you so I have joined the MCL and I go to the reserve centers and check with the Marines that are out and send them care boxs and also you can just give them support.

Semper Fi Marine

Marinesniperc69
09-05-07, 08:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your warm and wonderful replies. It is nice to find a place where I can hang out with people who know and understand the pain I feel. It gives me hope to read your messages and know that there are others out there that are dealing with the same issues that I am. Rest assured that I will find a way to get more involved with my Marine Corps family, because it hurts too much to see the dying going on amongst our ranks and feel like I am doing nothing to help ease the suffering of our fellow Marines. Thanks again for everything.

Marinesniperc69

sparkie
09-05-07, 08:33 PM
You sometimes cry during the evening news,,,,,,, So do we.