PDA

View Full Version : Houston Marine killed in Iraq remembered

thedrifter
09-04-07, 03:15 PM
Sept. 4, 2007, 2:05PM
Houston Marine killed in Iraq remembered

By ROSANNA RUIZ
2007 The Houston Chronicle

On the long flight to Iraq, Lance Cpl. Matthew Sauer Medlicott told his fellow Marines that it was his job to make sure they made it safely home.

"'If I come home, then I did a little extra,'" Marine Sgt. Nicholas Sauer Medlicott quoted his younger brother during a memorial service Tuesday.

The younger Medlicott of Houston was killed Aug. 25, in Saqlawiyah, Iraq by an improvised explosive device while on foot patrol. The 21-year-old was just three weeks into his second tour in Iraq. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, at Camp Pendleton, Calif. He joined the Marines right after he graduated from Spring High School in 2005.

"If not for this," Sgt. Medlicott said during his eulogy at Geo. H. Lewis & Sons' chapel, "we would've never known how many lives you touched or the people you have loved. We are better people for knowing and loving Matt."

Sgt. Medlicott, dressed in formal uniform, said his brother always had wished to become an infantryman and that he deeply believed in what he was doing in Iraq. As he concluded, Sgt. Medlicott gazed toward his brother's flag-drapped coffin and said, "We're proud you're a Marine...and we love you."

Matthew Sauer Medlicott was buried in his Marine uniform. Poster-sized photographs of him with his family ringed the inside of the chapel, along with lush bouquets of flowers.

Rev. Thomas Hill , who officiated the memorial service, began the ceremony by saying, "Matthew's life speaks for itself." He grew a lot in 21 years and at one point had turned his life around after he fell in with the wrong crowd, Hill said.

"He altered his course and came back," he said.

During his life, Matthew Sauer Medlicott explored other religions and had planned to share a home, complete with a white-picket fence with girlfriend, Brittani Mulherin. The pair had intended to raise many children, Hill added.

"He lived and died with a cause, a purpose, with meaning," Hill said. "He's home now and we can be thankful of him."

rosanna.ruiz@chron.com

Ellie