View Full Version : New Coach, New Rules

thedrifter
09-03-07, 07:00 AM
New Coach, New Rules

By Grant Marek
Signal Staff Writer
Monday September 3, 2007

"Ooh Rah."

You'll hear it every time the West Ranch freshman defense breaks a huddle.

And if you look hard enough, you'll see first-year frosh head coach Jan Miller break a smile just as often.

A retired Sergeant Major in the U.S. Marine Corps, Miller spent 23 years as a marine, including a nine-month stay in Iraq back in October of 2004.

And even though he doesn't broadcast it, his young team is well aware of it.

"I run a real tight ship," says Miller, now a member of the Los Angeles Police Department. "The discipline's easy. As a coach, I'm a disciplinarian. I'm approachable though, the kids aren't afraid of me. But at the same time, I like things being a certain way, just like any coach. Like when they're warming up, I want them in line, with their helmets in a certain spot and I expect them to be loud - they're good with that."

A former Castaic Cougars youth football coach who also headed a handful of teams in the military - including some championship teams - has taken a strong hold of the Wildcat reins after last year's head coach Tim Von Busch made the move up to the junior varsity level.

His philosophy is similar, a run-first offense weighted 70-30 run-pass. His approach is probably a little more regimented, however, although not quite as much as back in the Marines.

"I can get away with a lot more when I'm teaching the Marines football," he said. "I can be more harsh, there's not a time limit on me. As far as youth football, for me at the high school level, kids do more for me than I do for them. It's therapeutic."

Tailbacks Deyon Collins and Steven Manfro will carry the load for Miller, while Connor Eichten and Eric Bertuch will split time behind center.

"Both of them are phenomenal quarterbacks," Miller said. "I don't lose anything depending on who's in there."

Josh Guzman and Makaio Kaluna will be the primary targets at wideout for a pair of QBs that Miller believes will be cornerstones for the West Ranch program in years to come - just not this year.

"Both quarterbacks probably have the ability to move up, but (varsity head) coach (Mike) Kane, he likes to develop at the younger level. It doesn't matter how good the talent is, it wouldn't matter if it was Reggie Bush."

The Wildcats will be the beneficiaries of that philosophy as they embark on their first run through the Foothill League - a road that pales in comparison to what Kane and JV head coach Sean O'Brien will face.

"Absolutely. It will be much easier for me and the freshmen then it would be for Coach Kane," Miller said. "I don't admire the position he has to be in."

West Ranch's roster features 27 players that will be putting on pads for the first time in their lives. It will also be highlighted by some big bodies, including defensive anchor Joe Barbosa - a 6-foot, 192-pound linebacker.

Ellie