PDA

View Full Version : Floyd County native flying in war

thedrifter
09-03-07, 06:16 AM
Floyd County native flying in war

09/03/07
By Charlotte Atkins, Editor

.. ..While most Americans have been enjoying a long holiday weekend, Capt. Michael Allen of the U.S. Marines Corps has been flying an F/A-18 Hornet to and from an aircraft carrier in Iraq, providing close air support to fellow Marines and soldiers on the ground.

The Floyd County native is in the midst of his second deployment to Iraq. He’s proud of his job as a Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 251 pilot, which he says includes “over watch and the employment of ordnance.”

“The protection and safeguarding of the individual rifleman is my sole purpose, as well as all of the support by the maintenance department that keeps our jets flying safely,” said Allen, in an e-mail interview with the Rome News-Tribune. “My secondary duty is the squadron quality assurance officer. The Marines that work for me ensure that maintenance procedures and training are done correctly and safely 100 percent of the time.”

Allen, 29, says he wants the folks back home to know that military forces are making progress in Iraq.

“The war in Iraq is moving forward. I can see, from my vantage point, that insurgents and anti-Iraqi forces are being reduced in numbers on a daily basis,” said Allen. “This is a difficult task, but there is a lot of effort from your Marines, sailors, soldiers and airmen going toward it.”

While politicians in Washington and Americans across dinner tables debate the effectiveness and longevity of the war and rebuilding in Iraq, Allen says the U.S. effort is succeeding and Iraqis are showing promise in

Pilot Capt. Michael Allen receives preflight instructions from Cpl. Johannes Lorenz on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise.
creating a sustainable national infrastruct

“Iraq is making continual progress toward being able to support itself. Much effort is being put into the task of forging an Iraqi military that can pursue the interests of the populace there and keep the insurgents away,” he said.

No matter the debate, most agree that support of the military men and women on the front line is paramount.

“I feel the support from most Americans. This sets us apart from the Vietnam conflict. I am glad to see that we will not make the same mistake twice,” said Allen. “It is important that we band together as a team. Without the support of the man or woman to your left and right, we become weak.”

When he’s home, Allen likes to visit the Greater Rome area.

“I visit Rome frequently when I am not deployed. I was born at Floyd hospital, and much of my family lives there. I have seen it grow tremendously over the years. It is a patriotic city where I have many friends,” Allen said.

Allen’s family moved to Cobb County when he was young, so he went to school at North Cobb High School in Kennesaw and graduated from Kennesaw State University with a bachelor’s degree in business.

But his Rome roots remain firmly tethered.

His grandmother, Mae Free, lives in Garden Lakes. His mother, Lisa Lee, is married to Kevin Lee of Rome. His father, Russell Allen, spent many years in Rome as well. His uncle Greg Allen is a Roman, and the Marine says he has many other relatives and friends in the area, which is why Northwest Georgia is on his mind when he’s so far away.

Transitioning back and forth from home life to a war zone demands much of those deployed, but Allen says he’s not worried about adapting to normal life when he returns.

“This is my second six-month-plus deployment to Iraq. Adapting to life upon return takes a little time, but I am not worried about it,” he said.

Allen said he misses his wife Christina — who’s still in Beaufort, S.C., where the Marine Corps Air Station is based — and his family the most.

“Those are the folks that support me the most, and I miss being able to share holidays and events with them.”

To his loved ones here at home, he says, “Thanks for all of your support, and I look forward to being home with you.”

If all goes according to schedule, that could be sometime in early 2008.

Until then, this Marine remains on vigilant duty in the skies over Iraq since war doesn’t take a holiday.

Ellie