PDA

View Full Version : MRAP: Plenty of AC, saves lives, too

thedrifter
09-02-07, 11:09 AM
MRAP: Plenty of AC, saves lives, too
General says vehicles heading to war zone as fast as possible
By Patricia Kime - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Sep 2, 2007 9:23:31 EDT

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. — They don’t have cup holders or a Bose stereo system, but the ride is fairly smooth, the air conditioning cranks and the canvas jump seats have pretty decent back support.

Oh, and they’ll protect troops from many of the deadly devices insurgents place in their path.

Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles are being rush-produced by at least nine different companies for the Defense Department. On Aug. 24, Brig. Gen. Michael Brogan sought to assure troops — and the public — that the Pentagon is working as hard as it can to field them.

“This is not a normal acquisition program ... we are going to get them there as fast as we can,” said Brogan, head of Marine Corps Systems Command.

The boxy trucks come in three varieties and have V-shaped undercarriages that protect troops by deflecting bomb blasts.

In May, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said they are the Pentagon’s top acquisition priority.

But the hype surrounding these uber-armored vehicles, as well as their distinctive look on the ground, has attracted unwanted attention, Brogan said.

“They are becoming symbolic targets. That, in and of itself, is not a good thing,” he said.

Brogan declined to give specifics on how many MRAPs have been targeted or sustained blasts in theater. But the more than 225 now in use are “doing their jobs,” he said.

“They are giving troops a sense of confidence that spills into their mission,” he said. “From a performance standpoint, it’s done its job. From a reliability standpoint, it’s exceeded its job.”

The Defense Department initially plans to acquire 7,774 MRAPs and may order up to 20,000.

Of the initial 7,774, 3,700 are slated for the Marine Corps, 2,500 for the Army, 544 for the Navy, 697 for the Air Force and 333 for U.S. Special Operations Command.

The Army also has announced that it intends to buy up to 17,700, with plans to replace nearly all of its up-armored Humvees.

MRAPs come in three varieties: Category I vehicles carry up to six people and are intended for urban combat operations; Category IIs can carry up to 10 people and are geared toward convoy operations, troop transport, combat engineering and maneuver; and the most fortified, Category IIIs, are designed for mine clearance and explosive ordnance disposal.
Test drive

During an MRAP demonstration for reporters here, Army automotive testers ran all three types through their paces on paved roads, cross-country courses and dirt tracks.

Vehicles on display included Category I and II MRAPs manufactured by BAE Systems and Category I and III vehicles built by Force Protection Industries.

The Category II MRAP is likely to be among the most common in the Marine Corps inventory because of its ability to carry up to 10 Marines. Inside the surprisingly roomy, naturally lit interior of the BAE Systems’ Category II vehicle, Army evaluator Brian, who declined to give his last name, said the service has completed Phase I testing — that is, safety evaluations — on the vehicles and is now in the second phase, stressing the MRAPs to their limits.

“Our drivers have to, by regulations, take breaks every two hours. But when they are not, they are driving these as long and hard as they can,” he said.

The BAE six-wheeled Category II vehicle features eight blast-resistant windows and a wrap-around turret with bullet-resistant viewing windows for the gunner. Each window also has built-in gun mounts for defense.

On the exterior, the vehicles, called RG33Ls, have a hydraulic ramp, robotic arm, winch, survivability gear, equipment storage space and run-flat tires.

Inside, the test vehicles, surprisingly, bore the familiar new-car smell. The roomy interior seemed to have ample space for gear. Amenities included thick vinyl-covered padded ceilings and walls, captain’s chairs up front and canvas, hydraulics-cushioned jump seats in the main compartment.

Each seat had a four-point seatbelt harness, ample leg room and emergency lighting.

According to the test drivers, the vehicles travel at speeds up to 55 mph on paved roadways and usually run at between 25 and 30 miles an hour on secondary roads.

For troop comfort, vibrations have been kept to a minimum, and, while hearing protection is recommended, it’s not necessary. At 30 miles an hour on dirt roads, the people riding in the back could talk without having to shout over engine noise.

The Force Protection-manufactured MRAP I vehicle on display also had a hefty air-conditioning system and comfortable captains chairs all around. While it lacked the large windows and bright interior of the BAE-produced vehicle, Brogan said visibility is not a concern with these MRAPs.

“There are ways to provide situational awareness besides windows,” he said.

Army automotive testers will continue with the second phase of testing, but Brogan said the acquisition process does not depend on the current testing schedule. The MRAP design, he added, is a proven, 30-year-old technology, based on anti-mine warfare vehicles built in South Africa in the early 1970s.

Brogan said the Pentagon plans to get as many vehicles it can to the troops as fast as it can, but warned that his command may not always be forthcoming with information regarding their numbers or whereabouts in theater.

“If I’m a football coach and I’ve developed a play that’s going to score every time, I sure don’t want to hand it over, in writing, to the opposing defense,” Brogan said.

Staff writer William H. McMichael contributed to this report.

Ellie