PDA

View Full Version : Military Censorship: Think Progress

thedrifter
09-02-07, 09:17 AM
Military Censorship: Think Progress
Posted By Grim

I'm about a day late getting to this story, but apparently lefty blog Think Progress feels it's being censored by the military as punishment for its content. I'd like to quote a piece of the recent Bloggers' Roundtable with Col. Simcock, Commander, RCT-6.

GRIM: The last time we talked, Colonel, I asked you if there was anything we could send you; you asked for e-mails. Is there anything else you'd like?

COL. SIMCOCK: Let me just say one thing about the e-mails. The response on that was tremendous. It was -- it literally -- it overwhelmed our systems over here. Within about -- I think it was two weeks, we had like 30,000 e-mails that came to us in support, and I would just like to say, we actually had to stop them because they were overwhelming our system, and we had to put them on a -- you know, refer them to our webpage.

You remember that, right?

The bandwidth demands for the inflow of emails have become so severe that the RCT's staff has been forced to order the end of the project for security reasons. Sgt. Deboard regretfully informs us that, after next Sunday, the address will be closed.

Now, look, this isn't meant to slam the folks on the left. I just want to make them understand that there's nothing personal at work here. I think it's important that they understand that -- the military is nonpolitical, and is not working against lefty bloggers.

Bandwidth is a security issue for deployed forces overseas: they need what they have available to support operations. Nonessential content is likely to be banned at any time, for no special reason. These systems have ad hoc infrastructure only, and resources are scarce; and that includes the attention of the guy at the computer. The military will do what it has to do to make sure that it has the resources it needs for operations. Nonessential content is nonessential -- even Ooh-Rah-Semper-Fi email projects like mine.

If they'll shut down a project designed to send messages of support from American citizens to our Marines, they'll shut down anything else that's a needless draw on resources.

It's nothing personal.

www.defenselink.mil/home/blog/docs/0822simcock_transcript.pdf

Ellie