PDA

View Full Version : One Marine relieved, another appointed

thedrifter
09-02-07, 09:07 AM
One Marine relieved, another appointed
By JOSHUA CHANEY
Staff Writer

CROOKSVILLE - Deep in the rolling hills of the Crooksville area, 30 to 40 local United States Marines gathered in a barn for a ceremony relieving one soldier from a leadership position and replacing him with another.

Staff Sgt. Adam Smith will rejoin the infantry soon after 42 months of service as the leading recruiting officer in a six-county region including Coshocton, Muskingum, Guernsey, Licking, Morgan and Noble counties.

Smith, an Iraq War veteran whose original infantry unit led the first surge to Baghdad in 2003, is from the Cleveland area, and plans to rejoin an infantry unit based in California, which is currently stationed in Iraq.
Smith said his experiences in the region were rewarding.

"It's been good," Smith said. "It's been a great opportunity for me, but like all good things, it must come to end."

The ceremony included food and drinks as well as a formal ceremony with a Marine unit formation.

Smith said he is prepared to face redeployment to Iraq if that is what is asked of him in his next position as a rifle platoon sergeant.

"Units go in and out of Iraq and all over the world, you just never know. It's just one of those things where you understand what you're getting into. I know what I'm getting into," he said. "It's what I do, and that's why I'm a Marine."

Smith said his eight-month deployment was one of the most rewarding experiences of a lifetime.

"After I went, I re-enlisted," he said. "It's an experience of a lifetime. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about it, but one look at an Iraqi child's face and you know you're doing a good thing ... I'm glad I was there. I'm glad I could impact people's lives and make a difference in the world."

Despite recruitment being low for other military branches, numbers for the Marine Corps haven't changed much since the war started, Smith said.

Because the Marine Corps is a small and elite branch, Smith said, it usually isn't as difficult to find young men and women ready to serve in that way.

"There are a lot of great young patriots in this area, especially," Smith said. "When you join the Marines, you know what you are getting into."

At the same time, area Marines honored the departure of Smith, they also welcomed a new recruiting leader in Master Sgt. Sandor Vegh, a 20-year veteran of the Corps.

In his 20 years, Vegh served in the Gulf War and three tours in the current Iraq War as well. Vegh comes from a similar position in the Canton area, and said he is excited to begin his duty in recruitment in the area.

"I'm anxious to start and give my wife the chance to teach," Vegh said.

Vegh's son is also currently training to be a Marine. Vegh said he takes pride in his job more than anything.

"There is quite a bit I like about being a Marine," he said. "I have the opportunity to carry on the name of the greatest tradition this country has seen."

The Marine history and tradition, of honor, commitment and sacrifice, is something Vegh takes great pride.

Vegh's father immigrated to the United States from Hungary; Vegh was born the first generation of his family in America.

"I grew up understanding that freedom didn't come free," he said. "The Corps gave me stability in life, and a chance to defend a country that welcomed in my father."

jchaney@nncogannett.com
740-295-3437