thedrifter
09-02-07, 06:59 AM
Marines having blast at celebrity tourney
Second round washed out
By ZACH VAN HART
zvanhart@islandpacket.com
843-706-8123
Published Sunday, September 2, 2007

Joe Ward embraced his role as team leader. As defending champion of the 27th Hilton Head Island Celebrity Golf Tournament, the former Phoenix Sun struck a deal with three members of his group Friday.

"I told them, 'You continue to protect our country, and I'll protect you on the golf course,' " he said.

That's because Ward was paired with Sgt. Joe Preen, Cpl. Travis Heximer and Cpl. James Young, three Marines stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort who were selected at random from their squadrons to participate in the annual three-day tournament at three different golf courses on Hilton Head Island.

The one requirement for selection was having fought in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Preen, 27, has served two duties; Young, 24, and Heximer, 21, have served once. Not much golf prowess was needed, and hordes of Marines entered their name into the fray.

"A lot of guys wanted to do it," said Young, an avionics technician. "A lot of guys are mad that I got to do it."

Shock still lingered for Heximer on Saturday, who said it took about a week after being chosen to fully comprehend the situation. Preen and Young remembered being thrilled upon their selection.

"I was excited," said Preen, a firefighter, "but nervous because I knew I wasn't that good of a golfer."

Ward, determined to win a second title in only his second year playing in the tournament, tweaked his outlook on the afternoon once Young, Preen and Heximer shared about their jobs and stories from Iraq.

"Wow. You can write that down," said Ward. "What an experience."

Ward's group shot a 7-under-par 65 Friday at Indigo Run, good enough for third place in the scramble tournament. Preen attributed most of their success to Ward, an 8-handicap golfer. Ward didn't shy away from the praise or any of others' struggles, saying at one point Heximer explained: "We don't do grass, we do sand."

Upon one of their shots visiting a sand trap, Ward responded: "All right guys, here's your sand."

Rain and thunderstorms canceled Saturday's action at Palmetto Dunes Resort, but the three were still psyched for today's final round at Harbour Town.

Said Young: "We're having a blast."

Ellie