PDA

View Full Version : I just noticed something..........

crate78
09-01-07, 11:32 PM
I'm sure most of ya'll have seen the movie, "The Sound of Music" at least once. I can't recall how many times I have seen it all or in part. My wife and I just caught the last few scenes between college football games. And...........

I noticed that all through the movie, Captain Von Trapp's car has the steering wheel on the right side, which is appropriate in Europe both for that era and today. However, in the next to the last scene of the movie where the family is piling into the car at the cemetary at the Abbey to escape the Nazis, the steering wheel is on the left, ala America.

Either they switched cars without it being part of the script, or some film editors missed it.

crate

yellowwing
09-02-07, 12:22 AM
I just watched Glory again on TV. I noticed during the 54ths first fire fight an edit flub. <br />
<br />
After the last volleys all the Union soldiers didn't have bayonets fixed. The camera points to Broderick...

crate78
09-02-07, 11:13 AM
I've seen "Glory" at least twice, once during an American History class in college, and I never picked up on that.

crate

yanacek
09-02-07, 03:09 PM
Crate78: There is a logical reason that the steering wheel "switches." In the scene where the Trapps are leaving the house and are caught by Herr Zeller and his Nazis, the auto is Georg von Trapp's auto. They escape from the Salzburg Folk Festival and go to the Nonnberg Abbey. Georg asks the Mother Superior if he can borrow the caretakers car to get out of town. That second automobile is the caretaker's automobile--a different auto than in the first scene. Of course, that doesn't explain why the steering wheel would be on the left side of a European car.

I am a Sound of Music fan and always enjoy seeing it. I sort of live in my own "Sound of Music" as my wife and I have SEVEN children. All of our children love to sing and I have a daughter in college studying opera. Of course, I was not a submarine captain like Georg von Trapp.

3077India
09-02-07, 06:09 PM
BTW, as the Black Unions Soldiers march passed a Plantation house and Morgan Freeman stops to speak to some slave children; as he walks away one waves &quot;Bye,&quot; that kid is wearing a WRIST watch. ...

Zulu 36
09-02-07, 06:16 PM
Crate78: Of course, that doesn't explain why the steering wheel would be on the left side of a European car.

All European countries, except England, drive on the right side of the road as America does, and have steering wheels on the left side, as American's do. Even pre-WWII this was the case.

However, it was possible that VonTrapp's car was British, or originally built for English use, thus explaining the right hand steering.

yanacek
09-02-07, 06:26 PM
All European countries, except England, drive on the right side of the road as America does, and have steering wheels on the left side, as American's do. Even pre-WWII this was the case.

Well I'll be darn. I did not realize that. Thanks for the info.

crate78
09-02-07, 08:01 PM
I may have screwed up, too. I remember getting so used to riding a motorcycle and driving military vehicles on the left side of the road in Japan that when I came back to the States I caught myself taking off down the left side of the road in my car several times in the first couple of weeks.

If I remember right, on Taiwan we drove on the right side of the road. I knew the English drive on the left side, and assumed all of Europe was that way. When I was on an aircraft carrier in the Suez area, we pulled in to port in a lot of countries in Europe but I don't recall which side of the road they drove on.

BTW, Yanacek, one morning about a month ago, Fox and Friends interviewed Julie Andrews one morning. Gretchen Carlson asked her out of all the movies she made, what was the hardest scene she had to do. Andrews replied the opening scene on the mountain top in "The Sound of Music" when the bells start to ring and she takes off running. Not that the scene itself was difficult, but it was cold, had been raining, and they were wet and freezing trying to make that scene come out right on film.

Also, I once saw a bit on TV about the impact of sound effects on movie scenes. As an example, they played that same scene in its original form with the bells ringing. Then they played the same scene without the church bells, but with the sound of airplane engines and machine gun fire. It did make a startling change in how one percieved the scene.

crate

jetdawgg
09-04-07, 12:10 PM
BTW, as the Black Unions Soldiers march passed a Plantation house and Morgan Freeman stops to speak to some slave children; as he walks away one waves "Bye," that kid is wearing a WRIST watch. :sick: :confused:

That scene was from 1963:D

3077India
09-04-07, 01:05 PM
That scene was from 1963:DAhh, now that makes sense. :nerd:

DWG
09-04-07, 01:11 PM
That scene was from 1963:D

Just like the damnyankee government; Last ones they tell the war is over is the USCT!
They can go home now (be sure to get ALL your back pay).

DWG
09-04-07, 01:14 PM
In the made for TV movie "Seneca" (I think was the name); you can see jet contrails in the sky; no wonder the indians lost; pioneers had an air force!!!

jetdawgg
09-04-07, 01:14 PM
Just like the damnyankee government; Last ones they tell the war is over is the USCT!
They can go home now (be sure to get ALL your back pay).

Hey man $10.00 is a lot of money...

DWG
09-04-07, 01:18 PM
Hey man $10.00 is a lot of money...

Times 144 yrs. plus interest, it adds up! Of course, after taxes it will be $7.50!:( plus late filing fees= $3.50, plus penalties and fines; awww, just forget it! :cry:

jetdawgg
09-04-07, 01:21 PM
Times 144 yrs. plus interest, it adds up! Of course, after taxes it will be $7.50!:( plus late filing fees= $3.50, plus penalties and fines; awww, just forget it! :cry:

Hey get it in pounds:D