View Full Version : First Marine Division Reunites, Honors Fallen Soldiers

thedrifter
09-01-07, 10:02 AM
First Marine Division Reunites, Honors Fallen Soldiers
MyFox Philadelphia, PA
Last Edited: Friday, 31 Aug 2007, 5:59 PM EDT
Created: Friday, 31 Aug 2007, 5:59 PM EDT

By Bruce Gordon

Their short parade into Washington Square was not the picture of precision- most of these men last marched for real, half a century ago.

But these former Marines-don't ever call them EX-marines- do the best they can. As members of the First Marine Division, they could do no less.

The organization is not about politics or lobbying for special interests. It is about a simple notion: comraderie.

Jerry Corrento is the local reunion chairman: "They get to meet old friends that they served with years and years and years ago, and every year they renew that kinship and friendship."

The First Marine Division was founded in World War II. Through Korea, Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan and and Iraq, men like these have fought for their country- and for each other.

George Meyer is from Jacksonville, North Carolina: "The word is repect- we respect each other and we love each other because we fought side-by-side."

The Marines left a wreath at the site where, two centuries ago, Revolutionary War dead were dumped in a potter's field- names unknown.

These Marines- men like Hoover Ginn, of San Leandro, California- vow they will disrespect their fallen comrades: "The ones that we left behind, I don't want them to feel that they've been forgotten."

The highlight of the brief, somber ceremony: Marines are asked to call out the names of friends who have been killed on the battlefield.
For many, it is as if that comrade-in-arms fell just yesterday.

Al Wright , of Greenwood, Indiana, served in Korea: "I called out Bobby Dee's name......Bobby De died instead of me......I see him die every day."

It's not at all clear when these men will next return to Philadelphia. Given the natural rotation of these national reunions, it could be six or seven years or more."

By then, many of the older members here will have passed away. Even then, they won't have left this special fraternity. They will simply- as one member put it- be on patrol in Heaven.

Ellie