PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters report robust returns

thedrifter
08-31-07, 02:28 PM
Recruiters report robust returns
Rachel_Boyd@TimesRecord.Com
08/31/2007

BRUNSWICK — As the military recruiting year draws to a close next month, recruiters both around the country and locally are celebrating what they call a mission well accomplished.

Recruiters, in some cases with the help of new cash incentives, say they have succeeded in attracting hundreds of Mainers to military jobs in wartime.

In the last few years, ac-cording to local Army and Marine Corps recruiters, the number of Mainers enlisting has remained steady. The Army's new "quick ship" bonus, introduced in July, gives recruits the chance to earn $20,000 if they agree to go to basic training by the end of September. However, local recruiters and enlistees claim that cash plays a small role in their determination to enter the military.

Army of 339

In the Oct. 1, 2006, to Sept. 30, 2007, fiscal year, Maine's 38 Army recruiters have already achieved 89.6 percent, or 339 recruits, of its mission of putting 445 recruits into full-time status, said J.C. Allard, chief of advertising and public affairs for the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion-New England, on Aug. 29.

With a month to go, the Maine Army Reserve has already surpassed its goal of recruiting six more than the Army's original goal of 61 enlistees, Allard said.

Locally — in what is defined as the Portland-Brunswick area — recruiters have accomplished 100 percent, or 18 enlistees, of their Army Reserve mission and 91.4 percent of their regular Army mission.

Although those numbers are only a small part of the Army's nationwide recruiting goal this year of 80,000 regular enlistees and 26,500 reservists, Allard said he is proud — but not surprised — by the work local recruiters have accomplished.

The new $20,000 bonus, he said, is not a determining factor in this year's success. A bonus such as the Army's is relatively common in the business world, he said, and the Army is using it as a tool just as any other business would.

Sgt. Fsc. Michael Welsh, station commander for the Brunswick Army recruiting station, agreed.

"It's a great incentive, and it's a great recruiting tool, but I don't see people joining just because of that," Welsh said.

Joining up

Even if recruiters are right about new soldiers' motivations in joining the military, money certainly plays a part in many recruits' decisions.

Pvt. Timothy Kippenberger, 21, of Dresden, just returned from 11 weeks of basic training in Oklahoma. Now that he's back in Maine, the Wiscasset High School graduate said he's looking forward to starting work toward a college degree.

"The G.I. Bill will basically pay for classes, so I can get it without having to worry about paying for it," Kippenberger said.

For other local recruits, education is a secondary goal.

Walter Miller, 17, a Richmond native entering his senior year of high school, just returned from a summer of basic training with the Army Reserves in Fort Knox, Ky. This training means that when he graduates next spring, he will be able to go on immediately to service with the Army, he said.

Miller's time at Fort Knox solidified his decision to join the Army.

"This country's at war right now, and I could have taken the easy way out and gone to college," Miller said. "I'm grateful to live in a country that allows people to go on to college, and if I want to go on to college later, I can, so I decided I'd serve instead. … The United States is a great place to live and I'm willing to defend it."

Local Marine Corps recruiters say they too have seen constant interest, even though the Marines are not offering a bonus such as the Army's.

"We've had to turn away more people than we've enlisted," said Gunnery Sgt. Tym Bunnell, a Marine Corps recruiter in Brunswick.

Bunnell said he thinks the Marines have no need to offer quick ship bonuses such as the Army's.

"Quite honestly, with the Marines, they either want to be a Marine or they don't," Bunnell said. "The Marine Corps is not going to put that type of money out there just to convince kids to go to boot camp. … As far as I know, the Marine Corps absolutely has no plans to institute something like that."

Although exact numbers of local Marine recruits were unavailable at press time, national officials said they are on track to meet this year's nationwide recruiting goal of 41,227 active duty and reservist Marines. By Aug. 28, the Marines had recruited approximately 35,000 so far this fiscal year, Marine Core Recruiting Command spokesperson Mjr. Wes Hayes said.

Historically, about 175 Mainers become Marines every year, Hayes said.

"Recruiting is a marathon; it's not a sprint," Hayes said. "You have to be there for the long term and make sure that you are informing young men and women about the opportunities they have."

In the schools

Guidance counselors from local high schools said they too have seen a steady number of students joining the military.

Paula Smith, a guidance counselor at Freeport High School, said that on average, between two and six students in a graduating class of about 100 enter the military. Michael Wing, a guidance counselor at Richmond High School, said that most years between three and five students out of a 45- or 50-member class enter the military.

"For some kids, it's a chance to get away from Richmond," Wing said. "The part about seeing the world is a big deal, and there are great educational and financial opportunities."

Former Marine Jo Wrede of Lisbon said she is not at all surprised by Marine recruiters' success.

"When we are given a mission, we don't quit until that task is accomplished," Wrede said. "I know with the Marine Corps, in their recruiting they seldom miss their mission because it's not an option to miss it."

Wrede served in the Marines herself in the early 1980s. She still remembers her years in the Marines as fundamental in developing her character, confidence and self-discipline.

"If you can get through boot camp, there's not anything you can't do," Wrede said.

Though Wrede is no longer a Marine herself, she is now the proud mother of one. Her son, Max Wrede, just finished boot camp in April.

Ellie