PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Marine breaks news to dad

thedrifter
08-31-07, 06:30 AM
Wounded Marine breaks news to dad

Family anxiously waits for twins' return from Iraq

By Alan Gathright, Rocky Mountain News
August 31, 2007

Six months after his identical twin was wounded by a roadside bomb in Iraq, Ryan Mobley called his parents in Highlands Ranch to say he'd narrowly survived a similar blast.

"I'm calling you, Dad, because I don't want to get Mom upset,' " the 21-year-old Marine told Mike Mobley Wednesday.

"She worries just like any other mom would," Mike Mobley said Thursday referring to his wife, Deana.

"Ryan knew that she doesn't take that kind of news very well. As long as she knows he's OK, she doesn't need all the details."

Ryan Mobley, who is a week away from ending his Iraq tour, suffered a concussion, back injuries and ruptured eardrums when the improvised explosive device blasted their vehicle on a convoy.

Fortunately, he and his comrades were somewhat shielded by their armored personnel carrier.

"He said, 'I was knocked out,' " Mike Mobley said. "When he came to, and heard small-arms fire, he and another guy crawled out and returned fire."

Then Mobley, his squad's leader, called in helicopters to evacuate the battered Marines.

"I don't want to make him sound like some hero," Mike Mobley added. "He's just doing his job."

Ryan called back Thursday to update his parents from a hospital in Al Anbar province.

"I'm so sore today I can barely move," said Ryan, who was pinballed around the inside of the armored vehicle by the concussion, his father said.

"I'm going to be OK," Ryan told his dad, adding that he expects to get out of the hospital in a couple of days.

Matt Mobley, Ryan's twin, is an 82nd Airborne paratrooper who was wounded by an IED in February. Surgeons removed nine pieces of shrapnel from his back and Matt returned to duty in 10 days.

Now, the parents are keeping their fingers crossed with both sons scheduled to return home soon.

Ryan will be getting ready next week for the 45-day voyage home on a troop ship. Matt is supposed to end his 15-month tour in late October.

"They're both going to be home for Thanksgiving," Mike Mobley said.

"We're going to celebrate it with family in Texas."

gathrighta@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-5486

Ellie