PDA

View Full Version : Potential Marine in a bad situation - Looking for an experienced recruiter out there

Steve2525
08-30-07, 11:00 AM
Marines, <br />
<br />
I've tried to explain my situation in a letter, here goes: <br />
<br />
I’m from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, currently living in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. My mother is American citizen...

jerryk
08-30-07, 11:21 AM
have you tried the american embasy up there?

Steve2525
08-30-07, 11:53 AM
Hi,
I have been to the embassy several times. They have nothing to do with recruiting and have just told me to get in touch with recruiters. I have also contacted the U.S. consulate in Montreal, they are equally useless, I submitted a greencard application to them and it would have been granted if my mom was willing to move to the U.S. in fact I still have the case number. I have tried to explain to them that I just want the greencard to join the Marines, and that I should have been registered as a U.S. citizen anyway, but they really don't care/won't do anything. The red tape with these people is just ridiculous. My mom still holds her U.S. passport and everything I just won't accept that their is no way for me to join because the past 2 years has just been ridiculous.

Hope that clears things up more,
Thanks again.
-Steve

yellowwing
08-30-07, 01:00 PM
Send a Private Message to SSgt Nelson (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=2170). He's got the latest intel from a Recruiter on Resident Alien Status being allowed to sign up.

Steve2525
08-31-07, 11:58 AM
Yellowwing,
Just sent him a PM, thanks. Keep the info coming, has anyone heard of a waiver for someone with a U.S. citizen parent? That's what I think I need it's just I don't know of any recruiters who know how. I know native status can get you in but unfortunately for me it's undocumented so I have no proof or band letter.

-Steve

yanacek
08-31-07, 12:09 PM
Steve2525,

I take it that you were born in Canada. To be eligible to enlist, you must be a US citizen or must have been lawfully admitted to the US for permanent residency as evidenced by an INS Form I-151/551 (Green Card). There are no waivers to this criteria. The recruiters cannot really help you in this as it involves the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Contact the INS and ask them how you can become a permanent resident. Make sure you tell them the deal about your mother being a US citizen as this may speed your application. The INS will provide you with the necessary information. This process could take many months, and possibly years.