PDA

View Full Version : Dunbarton soldier receives Combat Action Ribbon

thedrifter
08-30-07, 07:25 AM
Dunbarton soldier receives Combat Action Ribbon

BY DAVE CHOATE

In Iraq, Justin Somers’ platoon had to be on alert for danger behind every doorway. Two years after he left the Marines, Somers received an award on behalf of his platoon in a much quieter setting.

On Wednesday, Aug. 22, Marine Sgt. Somers got to meet with Sen. John Sununu and accepted the Combat Action Ribbon on behalf of his unit, the 2nd Military Police Battalion. Most of them were deployed to Iraq in June and could not join him for the ceremony, which Somers said was disappointing.

“I wanted them to be here from the bottom of my heart. This award is really for them, and it feels bad that they can’t be here for it,” said Somers.

Sununu presented the ribbon to Somers on the town’s common before the gathered family, Dunbarton veterans and media moved inside the town offices.

Sununu said it was only natural to honor soldiers who have risked their lives for the country.

“Any combat environment is exceptionally difficult. It’s always important to recognize the service and sacrifice of the men and women who serve our country, abroad and here at home,” he said.

Somers said his platoon was made up of three sergeants and 31 enlisted men, all of whom were tasked with searching buildings and the streets of the Al-Anbar province in Iraq, which includes western Baghdad.

The Marines were tasked with searching for enemy combatants and any dangerous devices. The work required a great deal of patience, caution and what Somers characterized as a very strong work ethic.

He said those qualities have helped him in his civilian life since he left the service in 2005. He currently is a psychology student at Plymouth State University.

“I’m probably the only student on campus who does homework on Friday night. It’s all work before play with me,” Somers said.

One Dunbarton Vietnam veteran on hand for the event expressed his pride in his fellow Marine.

“Of course I’m very proud of him. When you’re called upon and answer the call, that’s a very proud moment,” said Steve Kennedy.

Somers said the day was one of his proudest, and that he had initiated contact with Sununu’s office months in advance. That allowed him to schedule the ceremony for his birthday, giving him some vanilla cake on top of the Combat Action Ribbon.

Published Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:46 PM by Goffstown Editor

Ellie