PDA

View Full Version : Money Question

Javy
08-29-07, 07:02 PM
Hi,
I am 24 years old, and finally ready to become a Marine. I have been thinking about it for years, but always found an excuse not to enlist.
I have one last hurdle to clear before signing away. The issue is money. The way I understand it, I would be attending boot camp for three months, earning a paycheck, but with no access to my pay until after graduation.
Many recruits I'm sure attend boot camp straight out of highschool, and this is not an issue.
My question is: how can I pay bills back home during the three months I'll basically have no income? Everybody I speak to basically tells me I will need to save up money before leaving for boot camp, or give up my home, etc. (which is not really an option).
Thank you!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-29-07, 07:12 PM
You need to fill out your profile before you post. Get that done, then we'll talk.

Javy
08-29-07, 07:24 PM
Done.

Haffner
08-29-07, 07:53 PM
In bootcamp, the DI's will give the recruits an option of setting up an allotment to send a certain amount of your paycheck home per paycheck.

When I went through boot we didn't get offered that until about training week one or two, and it was a week after that the recruit's families finally say an allotment (pending to vary on the newer training cycle plus date of month vs. payday).

Javy
08-29-07, 08:01 PM
In bootcamp, the DI's will give the recruits an option of setting up an allotment to send a certain amount of your paycheck home per paycheck.

When I went through boot we didn't get offered that until about training week one or two, and it was a week after that the recruit's families finally say an allotment (pending to vary on the newer training cycle plus date of month vs. payday).

Wow, why wouldn't my recruiter tell me this? They told me the money is untouchable. As far as the allotment, can I send home my entire check? Thank you for your help.

Haffner
08-29-07, 09:21 PM
No, you can't send your entire check. When I went through you were allowed to send off up to and including 50%, no higher.

Mind you -- things may have changed. I'm just saying this from my experience of bootcamp. That was only about 16 months ago, but things can change in that amount of time.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-29-07, 11:26 PM
I really thought I replied to this.

Oh well, your recruiter may not be telling you because he may not know. When I went through boot camp, you didn't see a dime of the money until you were about to leave. Since they now do direct deposit rather than giving you paper checks it is possible to do other things.

You can't send your entire check home because you have things you have to buy while at boot camp. If you sent all the money you made home, you wouldn't be able to buy your uniforms, or even pay to get home on leave.

davblay
08-30-07, 01:04 AM
You are issued a debit card when you get there and your pay is direct deposited in that account. You will be told how much you will ned to have available to spend while you are there, but i think oyu can tak to your bank and eplain to then what you are doing and most of them will go along with your needs and delay your payments until you are suared away in the Corps. I suggest you go an ask them about it while you have the time. The banks doesn't want to reposess your home, they will work with service members, trust me, ok?

PatriotGirl422
08-30-07, 06:30 PM
You are issued a debit card when you get there and your pay is direct deposited in that account. You will be told how much you will ned to have available to spend while you are there, but i think oyu can tak to your bank and eplain to then what you are doing and most of them will go along with your needs and delay your payments until you are suared away in the Corps. I suggest you go an ask them about it while you have the time. The banks doesn't want to reposess your home, they will work with service members, trust me, ok?

Hmmm has someone been drinking?