PDA

View Full Version : Iwo uniforms

Army Strong
08-28-07, 08:12 PM
Marines,

Good Evening; I am SFC Shawn Rohan 10th Mountain Division, US Army. I need your help: My grandfather is a Marine that passed away a few years ago. He is a veteran of Iwo, and I have his dress uniform (Army calls it "Class A's"). I wish to assemble his uniform in accordance with Marine Corp Policy at that time. I have several of the ribbons, including his purple heart. Sewn to the sleeve is a unit patch. The background is red in color, with a yellow border. In the center is a yellow "V" with what appears to be a blue spear point. Can anyone idetify this unit? Also, on the right breast is a elongated diamond patch sewn to the uniform depicting an eagle with outsretched wings inside of a circle. Does this depict my Grandfathers branch?

Is anyone familiar with a resource that would help me assemble my Grandfathers uniform properly? I am very proud of his service as a Marine, and I would like to honor his sacrifice appropriately.

Thank You,

SFC Shawn Rohan

sparkie
08-28-07, 08:16 PM
Lot of good answers around here,,, I wish you well.

MarineDadKY
08-28-07, 08:20 PM
5th Marine Division "The Spearhead" If I am not mistaken. My Great Grandfather was in the 5th on Iwo as well.

greensideout
08-28-07, 08:33 PM
Yes, the 5th Marine Division. The other patch sounds like the "Ruptured Duck", awarded to those that helped win WW-II.

If you want help with the ribbons it can be found in an Army pub. Careful how you face the EGA's.

10th Mountian----outstanding!

artymarine
08-28-07, 08:40 PM
Greenside is correct, 5th div and the duck. I still have my dad's ruptured duck.

Semper Fi

bootlace15
08-29-07, 12:39 AM
The Raiders

yanacek
08-29-07, 06:33 AM
Concur with 5th Marine Division and the &quot;Ruptured Duck,&quot; similar to the one below: <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
By the way, that &quot;ruptured duck&quot; was not really part of the uniform per se--it was added after discharge. ...