PDA

View Full Version : My son left...

tohegal
08-27-07, 10:20 PM
Well, it is official. My son is on a plane, as I type this, to Savannah GA, then to a bus that will take him to PI. He was elected squad leader of the 10 kids who were traveling with him...because he has flown so many times before and is familiar with how to navigate an airport. When do they meet up with chaperones? They flew from Newark NJ to Atlanta to Savannah. He called collect from the airport. Oh my gosh, was it a surprise to hear his voice! I was strong until it came time to say goodbye,,,then the tears choked me up. My stomach is all in knots and my knees feel wobbly, but other than that...I am trying to remain strong for him.

The hardest thing is not knowing where and how he is.

I know he will be fine...

Thanks for all the help you guys have been to me during this time. :thumbup:

I wish he would've gotten involved in this forum more actively...but he preferred just reading all the posts. He wants to wait until he is a Marine to speak up for some reason. Oh well, I guess I have done enough posting for the both of us, huh? He did obtain tons of tips and help just from reading the posts though.

Praying in PA,
Amy

p.s. did anyone else leave from Newark NJ airport today at around 5 or 6pm? Anyone's son or daughter? My son's name is Charles (Chuck)--oh my, I just thought of a rhyming word to his first name that the DI's could have a field day with...yikes...gotta stop doing that!

davblay
08-27-07, 10:32 PM
Amy, tonight you will hear from him by phone! He will call you and tell you that he made it to Parris Island and that he is fine and that he will send you his address as soon as possible! He will not have time to chat, say "I LOVE YOU" or anything else as he will be reading the words off of a paper taped to the phone. Then you will only hear from him by Mail until he graduates.

Keep a stiff upper lip and don't let him know that you are weeping for him. He needs your strength right now as much as you need his. The next few hours will be hard on him because of the lack of sleep, but he will be fine. He is beginning the trip we all had to make and it's a long road to Graduation Day, But Amy, he will succeed as hundreds of thousands have before him have! This is his chosen career and he needs your support now more than ever.

God Bless you Amy, and your family, during this trying time, and thank you.

immaproshooter
08-27-07, 11:58 PM
OohRah

Marine84
08-28-07, 07:52 AM
My stomach is all in knots and my knees feel wobbly

HAHAHAHA! You should be in his shoes right about now :) He's in good hands. You're going to be surprised at the changes he'll make between now and graduation. If you don't think he would mind, post his address when you get it. Some of us LUUUUUUUV sending mail to them!

tohegal
08-28-07, 08:10 AM
I got the phone call at 5am this morning. He sounded nothing like himself. It was as if someone were standing over him making sure he didn't say anything extra..just what was on the card. I had bad dreams for the next two hours. It's hard to cut the cord completely.

I will probably not post his address to the forum...I would not want someone playing jokes and sending chewing tobacco or anything like that.:scared:

He'll get it enough as it is...I would not be a good Mom if I let his address be a free for all,now would I?!! I'm not dumb.

Is it really 7 to 10 days we have to wait to get his address? Does the Red Cross send it to us, or does he call us with it?

What if his Great Grandfather passes away while he is at Boot Camp? It is a real possibility. What do I do?

amy:cry:

SGTBrentG
08-28-07, 08:17 AM
If there is an emergency while he is in boot camp call the Red Cross. He will be fine mom. When he gets back you will be amazed at the transformation from boy to man!

tohegal
08-28-07, 08:21 AM
Do you mean the local Red Cross chapter or is there a national number?

Thanks,
amy

thedrifter
08-28-07, 03:23 PM
This POST is being moved to the Family Area where it belongs.....

Also You been told YOUR son is FINE....

Ellie

immaproshooter
08-28-07, 03:25 PM
lol it serves the purpose to let you know he has arrived safely and that hes in the hands of the Corps now other then that i honestly have no clue...i know for myself it sucked making that call it was hard not being able to say i love you to my mom or even bye just read the lines then hang up no waiting for a response or anything it was more of everyone had fear running through them not waning to get yelled at by the receiving DI's and what not...... but he wont be deprivved they get box chow....which are like a small sub with meat and cheese and then a fruit two hard boiled eggs a box of raisons and drink water from canteens....lol it sucks but hell get to learn to hate box chows especially when he gets to the rifle range......oh and usually we had a small bag of ships in the box as well.....but they'll feed him hell get yelled at a lot not soley him though and hell get scared and a week or so later he'll look back a that and laugh at it