PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Marine Comes Home

thedrifter
08-28-07, 07:18 AM
Iraq Soldier Comes Home

by Debbie Williams
Updated: August 27 2007 |

It’s a scene repeated many times everyday throughout the country but for one Baldwin County family this is the one that counts.

After two tours of duty, their son is coming home from the war.

In a jumble of passengers pouring out of a plane, there is only one face Kim and Kyle Thorn are searching for, "He's always been real friendly, real open and everybody loved him he was always getting into trouble but he was a good kid."

Right out of high school, their middle child joined the Marines. "He had a tough tour," says his Mom Kim. "He was under a lot of combat this time. They were ambushed several times I.E.D.'s set off all the time he even took a picture of one and sent it to me how they make their booby traps," says Kyle.

There are no booby traps here, just open arms and a big welcome home.

"I'm on leave for thirty days then I go back and start all over again training up new guys." Kendall says morale overseas is good, “Just want to get the job done and do it most professional that you can, pretty similar to police work right now a lot of combat has died down it's more like guerilla warfare.”

He’s anxious to get home, “I just want to relax, take it easy at home, pretty much celebrate being 21.”

But the first thing he wants to do is eat and on the menu, "Hopefully Hamburger Helper," he says with a laugh.

A meal only a Marine could miss.

Thorn will leave in September heading back to Camp LeJune and could go back to Iraq next March. His four year commitment to the marines ends next August.

Ellie