PDA

View Full Version : Little Falls Marine injured in blast

thedrifter
08-27-07, 09:18 AM
Little Falls Marine injured in blast
By Rene Kaluza rkaluza@stcloudtimes.com

August 27, 2007

LITTLE FALLS — A Marine from Little Falls is recovering in a hospital in Germany after he was injured in Iraq.

Thomas "Tommy" Jacobson, who turned 20 on Sunday, expects to undergo surgery in the next day or two because of fractures in his ankle and leg, he told his mother, Linda Jacobson, during a phone call Sunday afternoon. His father, Eric, lives in St. Cloud.

Tommy Jacobson was injured when the vehicle he was riding in was blown up as it moved along a road in northern Iraq. One Marine was killed in the incident, and Jacobson and two others were injured.

The 2006 Little Falls Community High School graduate has been in Iraq since mid-July and in the Marines for a year.

Linda Jacobson said a staff sergeant from Camp Pendleton, Calif., called her about 11:30 p.m. Saturday to say her son had a serious neck and head injury. Almost 12 hours later, a staff sergeant called to say his condition had been upgraded to "very stable," she said.

"I was up all night. They told me he would call if they could get him to a phone. I just couldn't sleep," she said.

Just before 1 p.m. Sunday, her son called to say he was all right.

The other injured Marines are also expected to recover, Linda Jacobson said. Tommy Jacobson's team leader was killed in the blast, which is believed to have come from a device that was detonated as the convoy moved along a road in northern Iraq.

Tommy Jacobson expects to be transferred to a military hospital in California or Maryland, Linda Jacobson said.

Ellie