PDA

View Full Version : Twins' next big step together: Heading to boot camp

thedrifter
08-27-07, 09:13 AM
Twins' next big step together: Heading to boot camp

By DANIELLE CAMILLI
Burlington County Times

EVESHAM — Brian and Kevin Worthington were born two minutes apart. They have rarely been apart for very long since.

All their life adventures have been taken together, the identical twins will tell you.

Now, the township teens are preparing for arguably the biggest adventure of their lives. They have both joined the U.S. Marine Corps and are headed to boot camp on Parris Island, S.C., next month.

“We leave the day after our 19th birthday,” said Kevin, who with his brother graduated from Cherokee High School in June. “We have definitely experienced a lot of situations together, but this is probably one of the biggest things we will do together. I think it will bring us even closer.”

Brian and Kevin said they knew they wanted to join the military from the time they were in middle school. They said the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, “fired them up” when they were in seventh grade, but they already had decided on military careers.

The twins said they are not deterred by the ongoing war in Iraq and the likelihood that one or both of them could be deployed to the war zone.

“If my brother or one of my good buddies were sent there, I would request to go, too,” said Brian. “I would want to be there and do everything I could do to protect them.”

Two of their friends and fellow Cherokee graduates, Ryan Willno and Joseph Oyola, also joined the Marines after high school. Willno, a 2006 graduate, is heading to Iraq soon. Oyola, a 2007 graduate, is currently at boot camp, Brian said.

The twins will report to boot camp together and may be in the same platoon there, but they know that after 13 weeks of training they will be separated as they go through Marine combat training and specific job training.

“It will be the first time in 18 years that we are not within calling distance from each other, and we will only have minimal Internet contact,” Kevin said. “I try to keep my mind off that part.”

Instead, he focuses on what he's getting.

“I'm going in with one brother, but gaining about 150,000 others,” he said. “That's what the Marines is: a brotherhood. Without them, we wouldn't have all that we do.”

Brian said they'll keep track of each other by exchanging letters and by getting updates from their parents, Brian and Kathy Worthington.

“I trust that everything will be fine and we will be safe,” he said.

Brian said he thought it would help both recruits to go through boot camp together.

“It's a good thing for our morale, and we can both give each other the push and pull we might need,” he said.

Kevin will specialize in motor transportation, driving Humvees and other vehicles less than seven tons.

“I just like driving and being behind the wheel,” said Kevin, who with Brian was a member of the Cherokee High Racing Association.

Brian will join the Marine Corps Special Security Force, a reconnaissance squad involved in anti-terrorism measures.

“I really wanted to be on the front lines,” he said.

Their parents are nervous, but proud.

“We're extremely anxious, but 100 percent supportive of them,” said their mother, Kathy.

“It is going to be a big adjustment. They are leaving the house in one fell swoop, but this is something they always talked about and, after September 11, there was no turning back for them.”

E-Mail: DANIELLE CAMILLI

August 27, 2007 5:38 AM

Ellie