PDA

View Full Version : Events set for Congressional Medal of Honor recipients

thedrifter
08-27-07, 07:26 AM
Events set for Congressional Medal of Honor recipients

Convention in Northeastern Wisconsin Sept. 3-10

By Steve Arveson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers August 27, 2007

Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams says he's a pretty big football fan, and even though he's going to be treated to a Green Bay Packers game next month, his allegiance remains to his local teams.

"Of course if I'm going to root for anybody it would be my team here in West Virginia," Williams said from his West Virginia home.

A football game is just one of the activities that Williams and other Congressional Medal of Honor recipients will take part in when they visit Northeastern Wisconsin Sept. 3-10 for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Convention based at the Radisson Hotel & Convention Center in Ashwaubenon and with events planned throughout the region.

"They've got us really busy," Williams said. "I think I can claim citizenship because I'm going to be there from the third through the 10th. How long does it take to become a citizen up there?"

Williams served in World War II as a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, 21st Marines, third Marine division in the Iwo Jima Volcano Islands. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions. It is America's highest military award for valor in combat.

As part of his visit to the area, Williams will speak to students and staff at Denmark High School.

Williams tours the country speaking to veterans groups and to schools, giving 70 to 80 speeches per year.

Williams message to students is clear, said Denmark resident Bob Rupp.

"Responsibility and opportunity and what a great privilege it is for them that they were born in the United States of America," Rupp said. "We owe a little bit back to our country."

Ellie