PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a Marine

Lycan5100
08-27-07, 12:00 AM
Hello all, I have a slight problem. I've been reading around the net and have discoverd that you cannot join the Marines with a GED.
I'm home schooled and have never been to high school so I don't have a diploma. My question is, is there any way for me to join with a GED?
Is it possible that they will let me join if I do really good on my Asvab? I have not yet talked to a Recruiter, because I haven't even talked to my parients yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will do anything to get into the Marine Corps:!:

Haffner
08-27-07, 12:21 AM
You most definently can join with a GED. It helps alot if you get a rockin' ASVAB score, but it is possible.

True, not as many are afforded the opportunity to attend recruit training with GEDS, but it definently can be done, rest assured.

A little motivation and alot of persistence go a long way, too.

Lycan5100
08-27-07, 12:33 AM
Haffner, thank you so much. I still have about 10 months before I can join, but its never to soon to start getting in great shape. Now I just have to tell my parients. My mom has allready said that I'm not aloud to join, but I know its just because she wories. I'll just have to talk to her and tell her that this is what I want to do and I'm going to do it, and would love for her to be supportive.

Thanks again. :banana::banana:

Haffner
08-27-07, 12:47 AM
I have 2 personal Marine friends that joined with a GED. The big difference between a GED and a highschool diploma is that the Corps has to have a spot for you to go on. It might take you a LITTLE bit of time extra to wait (if I remember correctly from the experience of another Poolee when I was one) but not long at all, afterall, we certainly need bodies and the media isn't very friendly at the moment =p

But hell yes start getting in shape. You have no clue the freakin' major difference you can bring upon yourself in a matter as short as 10 months.

What helped my parents, as far as talking with them, is I talked to them with the recruiter there from the get go. It'll show your parents off the bat that you've thought it through and shows more seriousness towards the subject. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll make them happy go lucky from the get go, but still, it helped out tremendously in my case -- that being a case of parents who at the time would ONLY support me if I joined the chAir Force (but of course, like any Marine's parents, they're now the most supportive MFers out there) =p

Haffner
08-27-07, 12:51 AM
Oh, and just throwing this out there for poolees. In a matter of 2.5 months, I went from 4 pullups to 17, and mind you, my body takes a whiillleee to regenerate from a harsh workout (damn genetics) so it's not like I was bustin' my nuts every minute every hour every day, so if anyone wants some rock solid tips on that, gimme a PM. I was just reminded of that since you made your getting in shape comment.

*gets off his high horse*

jetdoc
08-27-07, 03:54 PM
I know a poolee who started bootcamp today. She had an excellent MOS, avionics, and it had a 4k bonus I think it was. Well because she had a GED she was a tier 2 and that disqualified her from the bonus. Not only that but her ship date was pushed back once or twice because they were full up of tier 2 poolees.

So you can go in with a GED but it could hurt you.

JCam0331
08-27-07, 06:05 PM
Hello all, I have a slight problem. I've been reading around the net and have discoverd that you cannot join the Marines with a GED.
I'm home schooled and have never been to high school so I don't have a diploma. My question is, is there any way for me to join with a GED?
Is it possible that they will let me join if I do really good on my Asvab? I have not yet talked to a Recruiter, because I haven't even talked to my parients yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

take a few college courses...that will waive the GED thing.

JCam0331
08-27-07, 06:07 PM
Haffner, thank you so much. I still have about 10 months before I can join, but its never to soon to start getting in great shape. Now I just have to tell my parients. My mom has allready said that I'm not aloud to join, but I know its just because she wories. I'll just have to talk to her and tell her that this is what I want to do and I'm going to do it, and would love for her to be supportive.

Thanks again. :banana::banana:

Yeah don't join unless you have a 225 PFT please.

My biggest pet peeve is a fat body Marine.

Lycan5100
08-27-07, 09:19 PM
Yeah don't join unless you have a 225 PFT please.

My biggest pet peeve is a fat body Marine.

Well I'm under weight not over, so I need to put some on. I'm about 5ft 8in and weigh 115. I'm not to worried about not geting as much money, so thats not a problem for me.

Thank you everyone for all your help, can't wait to join.

O I was wondering how hard it it to get a high score on the ASVAB?
I'm really good at math, and am going to Boces for electricity right now, and am at the top of my class.

JCam0331
08-27-07, 09:48 PM
Well I'm under weight not over, so I need to put some on. I'm about 5ft 8in and weigh 115. I'm not to worried about not geting as much money, so thats not a problem for me.

Thank you everyone for all your help, can't wait to join.

O I was wondering how hard it it to get a high score on the ASVAB?
I'm really good at math, and am going to Boces for electricity right now, and am at the top of my class.

5'8 you need to be like 165.

50 lbs bro.

Take protein and hit the weights

thewookie
08-28-07, 07:27 AM

I go with JCam on the weight thing. And just make sure you really want to be a Marine, and understand what it's going to take because it's not going to be easy. For anyone it's not easy, but I imagine someone who's home schooled may have some additional problems. I don't mean to offend you I'm sure you have advantages, maybe in your discipline level? This is just my opinion, but I've also read about studies that show how some home schooled children go on to have group socialization/interaction problems. And, if that's so, then I think that could lead to brain freeze at boot camp. Maybe the Air Force? Not saying you can't or that you shouldn't try, but I think it's going to be extra tough at your current height and weight, plus the culture shock thing. I think you should put on some weight and do some soul searching. There are other ways to serve if the Corps isn't the right fit.

Disclosure; I'm not a Doctor and I don't play one on TV.

JCam0331
08-28-07, 08:46 AM
Hey bro, PM me if you want weight gain tips. I used to be really skinny I managed to put on 70 lbs in 7 years through hard work in the gym and dieting.

Lycan5100
08-28-07, 11:05 AM
I go with JCam on the weight thing. And just make sure you really want to be a Marine, and understand what it's going to take because it's not going to be easy. For anyone it's not easy, but I imagine someone who's home schooled may have some additional problems. I don't mean to offend you I'm sure you have advantages, maybe in your discipline level? This is just my opinion, but I've also read about studies that show how some home schooled children go on to have group socialization/interaction problems. And, if that's so, then I think that could lead to brain freeze at boot camp. Maybe the Air Force? Not saying you can't or that you shouldn't try, but I think it's going to be extra tough at your current height and weight, plus the culture shock thing. I think you should put on some weight and do some soul searching. There are other ways to serve if the Corps isn't the right fit.

Disclosure; I'm not a Doctor and I don't play one on TV.

Thanks for your honesty. I am home schooled but I am going to Boces. I also have a job, so I socialize and interact with people all the time. I am a little light as well but I'm starting to work an that now.

Like I said before I will do anything and everything to become a Marine.

BR34
08-28-07, 06:07 PM
I have a GED. Also have over the 12 credit hour limit, so I got in as a Tier 1, and contract PFC.

Go to college.