View Full Version : Marines lose their reserve

thedrifter
08-26-07, 07:18 AM
Marines lose their reserve
Fox Company, soon to be activated, digs in at barbecue before they report
By BILL GLAUBER
bglauber@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 25, 2007

Beer? Check. Brats? Check. Fright wigs? Check.

It was just your typical backyard Marine barbecue Saturday as Kyle Blades and dozens of other members of the local Marine Reserve unit Fox Company threw themselves a going-away party.

"We have great lives here," said Blades, 24, decked out in long black wig, glasses, T-shirt and shorts. "We don't want to leave, but when called on, we do our job."

The unit - part of Marine Corps Reserve 2nd Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment - is due to be activated next month and could be redeployed to Iraq in early 2008.

Like Blades, many of the reservists are facing their second Iraq tour. The first one ended in April 2005, and it was bloody - five members of Fox Company were killed in combat.

"The support we received since coming home has been great," said Blades, who works at Harley-Davidson. "Everyone wants to hire a veteran. I don't know anyone (from the unit) who doesn't have a job."

Some of the Marines were raucous, downing drinks, shouting over the music spun by a disc jockey. Others were quieter. One neighbor wandered over to the party, took a look at the young men and their girlfriends standing around in groups, and said: "Are these Marines? It isn't even loud yet. Nobody is breaking anything."

Most of the Marine reservists were just having a good time before being activated.

High-school sweethearts Jake and Danielle Haugh have been married three years and must face their second separation because of the war.

He's a Marine corporal and a security coordinator at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Wauwatosa. She's an office assistant at Edward Jones, an investment firm in Greenfield.

"I feel like I'm more prepared this time because I know what to expect," Danielle Haugh said.

Jake Haugh, who snapped photos of the party, said he was prepared, too, for the rigors of being away from home and leading other Marines. During this next deployment, he expects to take on more responsibilities.

"I have to take care of my guys," he said.

Jake Gennrich, 24, of West Allis is a Marine corporal and an apprentice carpenter.

"I go to drill and I'm a squad leader with 12 Marines," he said. "And I go to work and I'm the most junior guy there."

Glancing at a young couple enjoying the party, Gennrich said, "I see one of my Marines with his wife. I'll do anything I can to see him come back to his wife."

But thoughts of returning to combat could wait. There was a party to enjoy and beer to drink. And as afternoon turned into evening, the Marines were prepared to turn down the music and turn up the volume of a large-screen television.

They wanted to finish off the party by watching Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Ellie