PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Reserve to Active

Poolee Muniz
08-24-07, 01:58 PM
I have signed as a reserve for 6 years Active Reservice and 2 years Inactive Reserve. (The basic, none of that fancy 4 X 4)

My M.O.S. is Clerical
Ship out to BootCamp Sept. 10th, 2008

If I play two years of College Ball and get my Associates, what steps would I need to take in order to switch to active?

Would it be better for me to attend a University and get a 4 year degree then apply to get into Officer School?

Would it be better to attempt to switch to Active after 2 years or 4 years of college?

'Poolee Muniz

PatriotGirl422
08-24-07, 02:31 PM
First of all, fill out your profile if you want to get your questions answered. Second, a lot of those questions depend on you personally. I think you can switch from reserve to active after 2 or so years of service, but there are a lot of options. Fill out your profile first.

JCam0331
08-24-07, 03:11 PM
I have signed as a reserve for 6 years Active Reservice and 2 years Inactive Reserve. (The basic, none of that fancy 4 X 4)

My M.O.S. is Clerical
Ship out to BootCamp Sept. 10th, 2008

If I play two years of College Ball and get my Associates, what steps would I need to take in order to switch to active?

Would it be better for me to attend a University and get a 4 year degree then apply to get into Officer School?

Would it be better to attempt to switch to Active after 2 years or 4 years of college?

'Poolee Muniz

1. If you are good enough to play college ball, go play college ball and get your degree in the process. The Marine Corps will always be here for you. College ball will not.

2. Since you have already enlisted in the reserves, go through with it then apply for Platoon Leaders Class or NROTC-Marine Option. Technically since you havent shipped to boot camp yet you can still get out of the contract but thats really a low thing to do and disgraceful.

You can do your boot camp/MCT/ITB thing then go back to college. Once in school you can apply for Platoon Leaders Class or NROTC Marine Option.

If you want to concentrate on being a college student then go for PLC. You will still have to drill but if you have been selected for OCS you are non-deployable (i.e they wont send you to Iraq unless you volunteer).

If you go the NROTC-MO route and get on scholarship, you will take all sorts of classes on Marine Corps History, Naval Warfare etc etc. Your full time job besides being a student will be that of a Midshipman. You will be trained while attending school and you can be eligible for the $150,000 scholarship. You will PT at least 3 times a week and they will require you to keep your grades up and maintain good physical shape.

You will also be required to act like a Marine Officer...which means high and tights, t-shirts tucked in etc...all those harsh USMC regs apply to Midshipmen in NROTC but do not apply to PLC Candidates.

Or, perhaps you may decide that the Officer route is not for you and you want to stay enlisted, or get out altogether, which is perfectly honorable.

I know a Sergeant who attended OCS and had a 99 ASVAB. Decided the Officer thing wasnt for him and declined his commission.

Semper Fi, hope it helps.

Poolee Muniz
08-26-07, 01:57 PM
1 Major Correction, My ship date is this September 2007.

PLC would only be offered at a UNIVERSITY correct? I will be playing at a JUCO for two years before transfering to a "actual college".

Thank you for all your help

JCam0331
08-26-07, 02:06 PM
1 Major Correction, My ship date is this September 2007.

PLC would only be offered at a UNIVERSITY correct? I will be playing at a JUCO for two years before transfering to a "actual college".

Thank you for all your help

Negative sir.

As long as you have the INTENT to complete your 4 year degree and transfer to a 4 year college, you can get into PLC. I know a candidate that is a Marine Reservist and he attended PLC Juniors even though he attends a community college.

Poolee Muniz
08-26-07, 02:15 PM
Negative sir.

As long as you have the INTENT to complete your 4 year degree and transfer to a 4 year college, you can get into PLC. I know a candidate that is a Marine Reservist and he attended PLC Juniors even though he attends a community college.

Thank You Once Again.
Where would I go to get info to apply for PLC?

'Poolee Muniz

Poolee Muniz
08-26-07, 02:17 PM
Don't know how to edit

My ship date is THIS YEAR, 2007 not 2008. (type)

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-26-07, 02:53 PM
Visit http://officer.marines.com/ and click on the link to get more information. The OSO will be in contact with you. I don't know where one is in the metroplex, but I am sure there is one. If not, you'll be contacted by the Austin office.

JCam0331
08-26-07, 03:04 PM
also www.marineocs.com