PDA

View Full Version : CAMINOS: The Rafael M. Garcia Jr. Story

thedrifter
08-24-07, 10:53 AM
CAMINOS: The Rafael M. Garcia Jr. Story (cont’d)

By RUDY PADILLA, Caminos
Kansas City Kansan, KS

After leaving boot camp, Rafael Garcia was granted eight days of leave. He spent his leave in Kansas City then headed to Camp Pendleton in California. He was assigned to Special Services and would work with athletic programs and take care of the baseball fields. It was during this time he was given a pass which he spent with relatives in Los Angeles. While he waited at the bus station for the trip back, he noticed the newspapers with big letters as the headline “REDS INVADE SOUTH KOREA.”

When he arrived back at the base, he noticed a big amount of activity. Marines were busy packing, painting and getting ready for war. Rafael continued his duties as a member of the Special Services but was not happy knowing that he was probably going to be left behind. To that point he would represent the Camp Pendelton Marines in several boxing tournaments and could have continued with that stateside duty. He by now had proven to himself and to the others that he was a tough Marine. But, now the time had come. He would not let his buddies go to war without him.

“I joined the Marines to fight, to make landings, to shoot my rifle, not sit on my fanny while everyone else was getting ready to go to war. I went to the commanding officer and told him that I wanted to go with the rest of the Marines overseas. He asked me if I knew what I was asking for and I said - yes sir! He told me to come back in twenty minutes. When I came back my orders were cut and ready to go. I then called my parents to tell them the news. My mother couldn’t talk to me after I told her - she was upset and crying. I told my father that I would be back, but he was to pray every night for me and with God’s help I would be all right. After arriving in Korea, he would be part of the First Provisional Marine Brigade. They would be the first combat-ready troops to come from the states. Their presence was requested by General MacArthur.

After more training, they arrived in Pusan, Korea in the middle of a heat wave. They would be part of firefights, ambushes and long miles of walking. Later, he would send home a letter dated Nov. 12, 1950 which ended with ‘Hope everyone at home is fine and don’t worry about me, I am okay. As far as I know the Chinese are retreating like hell.’ At one point he was to hand-deliver a message to Major Rose, USMC in the very early morning at Kimpo Airfield. He did not realize the 3rd Army was also in the area. When he came out of a large weeded area; He quickly saw that they had many of their rifles trained on him wondering where he had come from. Rafael quickly held his Thompson rifle over his head and started ‘cussing’ and hollering like a good Marine. After he told them where he had traveled from and where he was going, they gave him a ride to Kimpo Airfield. When he arrived there, he would see General MacArthur in a room and the highly decorated ‘Chesty Puller’ all in the same day.

The ‘My Sunday Missal’ was given to me in church a short time before I was to leave for Korea, by a Catholic chaplain at Camp Pendelton. I carried it over my heart in the pocket of my dungaree jacket. Wherever I was in Korea, my missal was always with me. I didn’t open it to read the comforting wisdom that the pages contained, but I felt it’s warmth and that seemed to give me all of the comfort that I needed at that time.”

The following is dated June 25, 2000:

Dear Sgt. Rafael M. Garcia, Jr., U.S.M.C.

On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War, I would like to offer you my deepest gratitude for your noble contribution to the efforts to safeguard the Republic of Korea and uphold liberal democracy around the world. At the same time, I remember with endless respect and affection those who sacrificed their lives for that cause.

We Koreans hold dear in our hearts the conviction, courage and spirit shown to us by such selfless friends as you, who enabled us to remain a free nation.

The ideals of democracy, for which you were willing to sacrifice your all 50 years ago, have become universal values in this new century and millennium.

Half a century after the Korean War, we honor you and reaffirm our friendship, which helped to forge the blood alliance between our two countries. And we resolve once again to work with all friendly nations for the good of humankind and peace in the world.

I thank you once again for your noble sacrifice, and pray for your health and happiness. Sincerely yours, signed, Kim Dae-jung President of the Republic of Korea.

Rafael was always interested in learning. He would later serve as the Cryptographer for the Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic Fleet.

When he returned home in 1954, he had been through a lot of adversity, but he would later witness other bad experiences. His mother Juana passed away that same year from the rare but fatal skin disease which she had suffered and he would be in a horrible auto accident which destroyed the lower portion of his face. He would spend a year in rehabilitation. In September, 1958 Rafael and Dolly Anna Carter from Southern Illinois would marry. They have four children: Tammy Renee, Amanda, William and Susan Juana.

In 1960, younger brother Jesse would ask Rafael what he thought of him joining the U.S. Marines. Rafael did not hesitate; he told him to “go for it.” Jesse would join; which would make him the third Marine of the “Garcia Marines.”

Rafael has had a full life. He enjoys talking and laughing with family and friends. There are some subjects which he chooses not to discuss. When he is asked to relate what he saw in the battle for Korea, he grows silent. His mood changes because he cannot and does not try anymore. “I will not be able to finish because I will start to cry.” Daily he remembers his buddies who have passed away. “I pray for them each day” he says.

Rudy Padilla can be contacted at opkansas@swbell.net.

Ellie