PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press Competition Lifts Kabul Marines Goals

thedrifter
03-27-03, 09:24 AM
Bench Press Competition Lifts Kabul Marines Goals
by Cpl. Douglass P. Gilhooly
Marine Corps News
March 24, 2003

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Marines soaked with sweat and armed with bragging rights benched their way to the top here, March 22, in a two-way bench press competition.

"I came up with the rules from previous bench press competitions I have attended at Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejeune," said Staff Sgt. Justin W. Aiken, a native of Edgewater, Md. "I modified them a little to fit our schedule better."

The events considered the amount of weight benched compared to overall body weight. The use of spotters, body movement and grip control was also judged.

Aiken, a platoon commander for the task force and also judge for the competition said he decided to have a bench press competition to give Marines a goal and push them further to outdo each other.

The Marines of Task Force Kabul, 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism), main purpose is to provide security at the embassy. But this day, they had a chance to deviate from the normal routine and challenge each other in a contest of might.

Capt. Douglas L. DeWitt, security company commander for TF Kabul won the test for most benches of bodyweight. The native of LaPorte, Ind., pushed 140 pounds 29 times, while weighing in at only 138 pounds.

Lance Cpl. Jeremy R. Riddle, designated marksman for the task force was close behind DeWitt with an impressive 24 times of 190 pounds. He also took the most over body weight with a bench of 315 pounds. Weigh-in was the day before and Riddle rattled the scales at 192 pounds.

The competition was held all day, so that the Marines could perform their test whenever they were ready. Throughout the day, "scuttlebutt" or rumors were moving throughout the task force. "Who will bench the most; he definitely has this one; and he'll bench his weight at least 30 times," were some of the comments made.

All of the Marines who tested themselves said they felt some anxiety because they wanted to live up to everybody's expectations.

"I felt a lot of nervous energy, and I was pumped up with adrenaline," said DeWitt. "I think I started too low for the competition over my bodyweight, so I am a little disappointed and to be honest, I thought I would press my own weight about 30 times."

In the early afternoon, Riddle made his first two attempts and his anxiety got the best of him, by missing 315 pounds. "I knew I could press 315, but I guess all the nerves got to me," said Riddle, a native of Asheville, N.C. "All of my teammates knew I could do it and they were all watching and I just choked. I knew what I had to do - give myself some time and get focused."

Later on in the evening, Riddle, along with other Marines were ready for the challenge. Pfc. Thomas P.Thibodeaux, weighing in at 210 pounds pressed an inspiring 330 pounds, beating DeWitt and putting the real test to Riddle.

Riddle stepped to the bench and made his mark, pushing 315, and winning by three pounds.

"It was a great feeling to be able to get my focus back and press the weight," said Riddle. "I felt it was a win for the whole team."

All of the Marines who competed in the competition said it is great for morale and it helps them to set their goals high and reach that goal.

The Marines will be awarded trophies for this competition and there will be another bench press competition in mid-April.

Sempers,

Roger