PDA

View Full Version : Maint. Bn. keeps Marines safe by keeping MRAPs on roads

thedrifter
08-24-07, 05:42 AM
Maint. Bn. keeps Marines safe by keeping MRAPs on roads
Cpl. Thomas J. Griffith
2nd Marine Logistics Group

AL TAQADDUM, Iraq (Aug. 1, 2007) -- The Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles keep Marines on convoys in Iraq’s Al Anbar province safe. They were designed to deflect small arms fire, improvised explosive devices and other similar enemy threats. So, who takes care of the MRAP?

On Aug. 1, it was a cracked oil pan gasket that put one of the MRAP’s C7 Acert Caterpillar Engines out of commission. However, the Marines of General Support Maintenance Platoon, Maintenance Company, 2nd Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward) were there to repair it. They are the last echelon of maintenance before the part is sent back to the states, which increases both the cost of repairs and the turnaround time.

According to Cpl. Joseph W. Diederich, a mechanic with the platoon, the MRAP can withstand a lot of damage.

‘‘Every now and then we’ll have one come in and most of the time it’s real minor things that can be fixed real quick, but the other shops don’t have the capabilities or tools to do it,” said the Henry County, Ky., native.

To date, Diederich and the other mechanics have only worked on three engines belonging to MRAPs, something he said is a testament to how well they were built.

‘‘The (MRAP) is a major asset out there. They have saved a tremendous amount of lives, especially towards IEDs,” he said. ‘‘They’ve proven themselves time and time again by taking one beating and explosion after another and still keeping everyone inside safe.”

The Marines don’t only work on MRAP parts, though. In fact, the bulk of their work is on engines and transmissions of humvees, logistical support vehicles and other military vehicles.

Some days, the section may receive only a couple of parts requiring repair, but on others, it may be fairly busy.

‘‘It’s an influx,” said Staff Sgt. Robert M. Barnett, the engine and power transmission maintenance floor chief. ‘‘On a busy day, shoot, we’d get three or four engines and five or so transmissions. Basically, just a lot of gear.”

Although the C7 is a larger, more complex engine than the mechanics are used to, Barnett said his Marines are still able to handle the work load.

‘‘My Marines are very knowledgeable in their jobs,” explained the Van Wert, Ohio, native. ‘‘They’re hard working and get the job done anyway possible.”

Diederich explained that he and the other mechanics thoroughly enjoy their job, especially since they’re keeping the other Marines on the roadways safer.

‘‘I know I’m making a difference,” he began. ‘‘That’s one more person in an armored vehicle I don’t have to worry about being shot at or blown up.”

Ellie