PDA

View Full Version : MCRD San Diego 11/1980-2/1981

froggman
08-24-07, 12:18 AM
Hello, <br />
I am wondering how I would post this message; <br />
My name is Anthony Gayton {Sr}, I was in the Marine Corp back in 1980-1982, and I am trying to find out what the cost would be to get a picture...

davblay
08-24-07, 01:28 AM
I recently ordered mineat a cost of 35 bucks plus shipping. ordered from the Marine Corps historical society in San Diego. You must know your platoon number and date of graduation. I don't know about PI though.

tony forti
05-31-10, 09:42 AM
Anthony, I was in platoon 1126 T-day started 12-19-1980. My Senior Drill instructor was SSgt Tipton, and there were 3 other drill instructors ones name was Sgt Block, the other was Sgt White, and the third was only with us for maybe 10 days into training, I don't remember his name, but I remember that he was the only one that was nice to us ,because he was a short timer. I've lost all my stuff too, along with my platoon book, there were only 39 of us that graduated, and I don't know if you heard, our platoon guide Cpl Eric Walker,was killed when the building came down in Beirut Oct 83, I think of all the time thats past since he's gone. Anyhow if you do remember, and you are from platoon 1126 MCRD SanDiego then you would remember me I'm Munchkin the duty hut private that the DI's used to make me sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" then run flapping my arm saying "The sky is falling,The sky is falling". I hope this bit of information helps, Thanks,Tony Forti

mickymouse1000
08-07-10, 10:26 AM
1126 oh my god its you i remember you my name is robert thompson platoon 1126 tipton blocker holt

mickymouse1000
08-07-10, 10:29 AM
i didnt know walker was killed i was trying to locate him also.thanks for the info

Jim Tipton
07-07-11, 08:49 AM
Marines, You may not get this but hope you see it at some point. My brother Mark Tipton recently passed away. We were Drill Instructors at MCRD together. I was in First Battalion and he was in Second. I was the Senior for 1126 and Sgts Blocker and Holt worked for me. That was a fun platoon, at least for me. Munchkin you may not have enjoyed it much. Hope you all had fruitful lives. jtipton@colt.com

tony forti
07-07-11, 11:34 AM
Marines, You may not get this but hope you see it at some point. My brother Mark Tipton recently passed away. We were Drill Instructors at MCRD together. I was in First Battalion and he was in Second. I was the Senior for 1126 and Sgts Blocker and Holt worked for me. That was a fun platoon, at least for me. Munchkin you may not have enjoyed it much. Hope you all had fruitful lives. jtipton@colt.com

Somewhere over the rainbow skys are blue, follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, the sky is falling, the sky is falling;)

Jim Tipton
07-07-11, 12:56 PM
Now that was too funny. Good to hear from you Marine.

mickymouse1000
07-07-11, 06:35 PM
well i hope you remember me also my name is Robert Thompson i keep intouch forti.and now i see that youre doing ok. i was your layleader and duty hut private and make everybody laugh.

mickymouse1000
07-07-11, 06:38 PM
senior drill instructor tipton 1126 youre kidding me i remember you do you remember the plaque my mother had made for you?

mickymouse1000
07-07-11, 06:54 PM
hey my brother this is robert thompson i tried to call you today about the good news you got .thanks for the email

JohnnySmith
08-08-11, 12:48 PM
I was in Plt 1126 also ,Ssgt. Tipton had my sister write to him,then his wife wrote to her and told her to stop. Hope that didnt cause any trouble Ssgt. My youngest son is in Parris Island right now and my oldest is in the 82nd Airborne (almost a Marine).
I remember Pvt Munchkin,Pvt Jaws,Pvt Grouper,Pvt Samonski, Pvt Nobles.and Pvt Walker our guide,sorry to here about him. Some of my friends were there from radio school also. I was in Okinawa at the time.Good Marines all.
Over the years told many Pvt Munchkin stories to my sons.

tony forti
08-08-11, 02:16 PM
Hey Johnny,
how have you been, you know Ssgt Tipton became a warrant officer, and retired after 26 years of service, his rank was W05 which is the same as a 4 star general, you can't get any higher. Isn't it nice to know that you were trained to be a Marine by such a devoted individual? I know I feel proud to know him, and I haven't seen him in 31 years. It's good to know your doing fine, hope to talk to you soon. Lcpl Forti (Munchkin):marine:

JohnnySmith
08-09-11, 11:12 AM
Outstanding ! Proud to be one of Tipton`s Raiders.
Always thought of him when I would salute an officer, he had a way of dropping his hand after saluting that I copied.

tony forti
08-09-11, 03:06 PM
I sang this song many times in boot camp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hgOfk2qtls my nickname is Munchkin, and I really thought the sky was falling!

mpodgor
01-21-14, 08:25 AM
My name is Mike. I was in platoon 1043 in 1980. Cpl Tipton was my DI. OMG! He puts that guy in full metal jacket to shame. What a DI!!!!!

SeattleAviator
11-09-15, 10:28 AM
Yes, Cpl Tipton was one crazy, tough DI.. Won the Navy-Marine medal for pulling others out of a burning helicopter.. Highest non-combat award. He found a rattler during a march at pendalton and was chewing on it while we were humping the force march.

My name is Brad, I was also in 1043 in 1980, our senior was SSGT Campbell and we had Sgt Hauge & Sgt Hayhurst.. Our guide was also series guide.. I was squad leader most of the time.. But went Unk at the rifle range, I was made guide of the Unk platoon that week, and missed mess duty, darn! Meritorious PFC out of boot camp and went into Aviation Ordnance; loading bombs on planes..

ive lost my MCRD picture book from 1043, I'd love to find a replacement!

19USMC80
11-11-15, 11:44 AM
I also was in Plt 1043 in 1980 and I also recall Cpl Tipton chewing the tail off that rattlesnake and putting it in his pouch. I also recall one saturday in our barracks, wer were cleaning up...the 4 squad leaders were in the DI office getting their ass chewed. Meanwhile, we had just sprayed Pledge on the squadbay floor to wax it and next thing ya know the DI's were yelling at the recruits to get the F*** out of their office. Those 4 guys came running out, hit the pledge on the floor and they all fell down and slid across the floor.

SeattleAviator, I may have a spare yearbook from plt 1043, I will do some looking. Contact me at xantith@yahoo.com and maybe I can set you up.

tony forti
12-19-16, 09:41 PM
Well JTipton is no longer at work he's retired but I know he's still at work somewhere. We have no way to contact him anymore and it's been 36 years since we've last seen him. Dec 19, 1980 was my first day in and when I arrived it was on a Friday, we got in around midnight and the barber shop was closed. I met so many people at the chow hall that wanted to talk to me because I had a full head of hair and I thought I had all these new friends but when Monday came and the barber shop opened I joined the ranks of the unknown boot. I tried to walk up and talk to those same guys and just got yelled at. Now today it's been 36 years, it really doesn't feel like that long ago but it was a lifetime ago.

I posted my picture again on FB and contacted my two friends from our platoon, I wish there was a way to find out from my other friends from our platoon 1126 that graduated early 1981 does anyone know?