PDA

View Full Version : Question about MSG

Katzman
08-23-07, 11:26 AM
Hey. I'm LCPL as you can see and I've only been in for 10 1/2 months. I deploy to Iraq in mid-January and plan to pick up CPL in Iraq. <br />
<br />
I was talking to some Marines at the recreation center here...

SSgt Blue
08-23-07, 11:43 AM
What the H#$% do you do, Cut the CO's Grass.

SSgt Blue
08-23-07, 11:45 AM
What is 2621 ????? Grass Cutter of Marines Corps Bases ?

Katzman
08-23-07, 02:02 PM
Nope, I am a signals intelligence analyst.

RLeon
08-23-07, 02:26 PM
Man, if you get the opportunity do it.

rheinmark187
08-23-07, 02:47 PM
if you do get approved, you won't know it as well as other 2621's. But a lot of these fast tracked NCO's seem to know how to schoomze their way to the top. I don't know if you'll get approved...

Katzman
08-23-07, 07:47 PM
if you do get approved, you won't know it as well as other 2621's. But a lot of these fast tracked NCO's seem to know how to schoomze their way to the top. I don't know if you'll get approved seeing that you have a critical MOS, but go ahead. Don't be surprised if you get assigned to the expanded Detail in Baghdad and Kabul.

Talking to my 1st SGT, I don't think that I'd have any problem getting approved. I already have my TS SCI clearence and that makes me attractive (from what I've heard) to MSG anyways. And honestly wherever they assign me.. good to go.

My main question is about how good or bad of a Marine I'll be coming back to my BN as a SGT and not knowing my job.. is that me being selfish and wanting to much for me, or is that good as a whole. I can always learn my job again, and what I've learned so far I really knew most of it already from prior schooling.

rheinmark187
08-23-07, 10:46 PM
well that's a question for you to answer. If you are planning on getting out after your enlistment, maybe you should go to MSG. There should be some great memories, and it'll be something extra to put on your resume when you get out. If you want to do law enforcement, or state department, it'll look nice on your resume. If you are thinking of making a career of the Marine Corps, you might want to hold off on it.

Accord
08-24-07, 12:05 AM
If you have a deployment under your belt then you'll have credibility in your MOS and it won't be a problem when your tour on MSG is up and you return to the fleet.

I'm deploying on a MEU(SOC) very soon and plan to put in a package for MSG duty the second we get back.