View Full Version : Ready to serve America

thedrifter
08-23-07, 08:12 AM
Article published Aug 23, 2007
Ready to serve America
Vikings' senior duo plan to join the U.S. military
By Seth Lewis
Daily World Sports Corresspondent

Like every school, Opelousas Catholic teaches its players to be more than just about football and to always strive to reach greater heights.

That's exactly what two of their top senior football players, Lance Lalonde and Jacob Bihm, have done, having each committed to serve their country in the military.

Lalonde will join the Marine Corps immediately following graduation, while Bihm is waiting on an acceptance letter to either West Point or the Air Force Academy.

"I've always wanted to be in the Marines," Lalonde said. "Ever since I was 5-years-old. I've just (always) had it in me to pay my dues (to my country)."

Program prestige is one of the many things that has attracted Bihm to West Point and the Air Force.

"I want to go to these schools because they are very prestigious," said Bihm, who would like to be a doctor or an engineer. "To even be considered for these schools is an honor. I'm of the opinion that we all have the obligation to give back to our country and this is what I plan to do."

Lalonde believes his passion for the military is a direct result of his obligation to his country.

"I want to be the best for the Marines," Lalonde said. "I'll be fighting beside good people with good experience. I want to make people better."

Although they both love playing foootball, and wouldn't mind making a career out of it, serving their country is more important.

"To change from four years of playing football to something else is tough," Lalonde said. "It would be nice to play, but my goal is not to go to Marines and play football. It's to serve my country."

Lalonde and Bihm have much more in common besides being teammates and career plans - they are family.

"Bihm is my cousin," Lalonde said. "I've known him since I was 4 or 5-years-old. We have been playing together since we were 12-years-old. We're real close and we're real good friends."

"Lance is family," Bihm said. "I'd trust him with my life. He's one of the few people I trust in life."

Lalonde and Bihm agreed that football has helped prepare them for the careers they intend to pursue.

"In the Marines, we have to play as a unit," Lalonde said. "A unit will accomplish goals and make sacrifices. Just like in football, I will try to make my team better."

Playing for Vikings coach Doug Guillory, whom they think highly of, also has Lalonde and Bihm confident they can handle anything they endure throughout their journey to accomplish their dreams.

"Coach Doug in a lot of ways is like a drill sergeant," said Lalonde, who thinks he'll either spend eight years in the Marines or make a career out of it. "He'll get in your face, direct you and make you play up to your potential."

With all the memories and friendships they've developed over the years, graduation is going to be an emotional day for Lalonde and Bihm.

"My last year of playing football is a big loss for me," Bihm said. "To be leaving people I've played with, fought alongside for four years and bled with is (tough). I consider all of these guys my family."

Ellie