PDA

View Full Version : Mom 'proud' of sons who fought in Iraq

thedrifter
08-23-07, 06:08 AM
Mom 'proud' of sons who fought in Iraq
She ended each letter to her two sons, 'Be smart, be alert, be safe, Love, Mom.'
By CARYL CLARKE
Daily Record/Sunday News
York Daily Record/Sunday News
Article Launched:08/23/2007 06:09:20 AM EDT

Aug 23, 2007 — The mother of two Marines who served in Iraq at the same time said she did not over-worry about it.

"I look at it as this is what they want to do with their life," said Deborah Collare of Red Lion. "I am very proud of them."

They're back from Iraq. Both live with their families at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

Sgt. Kevin Collare served twice in Iraq and is now learning how to train recruits for infantry.

Cpl. Mark Collare is receiving treatment for injuries he suffered from a fall in boot camp. He works as a substance abuse coordinator.

Kevin, Deborah and Allen Collare's oldest son, signed up with the Marine recruiting office while still in York Catholic High School, graduated in 1998 and went on to graduate from Penn State before heading to boot camp, Collare said.

After boot camp, he attended the School of Infantry for training in assault and demolitions, was assigned to Camp Lejeune and sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where he served as sergeant of the guard.

He returned to Camp Lejeune for combat training.

Mark signed up with the Marines upon graduation from York Catholic in 2004. During boot camp he suffered a daunting injury, his mother said.

He had been in formation, standing at attention when he fell face-first to the pavement, presumably a victim of heat stroke, Collare said.

Mark suffered a fractured chin and broken eardrums. Doctors removed 11 teeth and implanted two titanium plates in his jaw. His hearing returned without treatment.

"He went through a lot for 18, all by himself," Collare said. "I give him much, much credit."

Mark completed boot camp and infantry school and volunteered for training in Arabic school, Collare said.

The brothers were deployed within months of each other.

Kevin deployed to Iraq in February 2005. Mark left in July 2005.

It was a surprise to her, she said, to learn the military would send brothers into a combat zone at the same time.

"It was interesting when they were over in Iraq," Collare said. "I sent packages to different places."

She said again she did not over-worry. She trusted in the Lord and the common sense training her sons had received.

"What would be would be," she said.

The family kept in touch with the brothers by letter, e-mail and phone. Collare said it was great to hear their voices, but they were not allowed to communicate with one another while in Iraq.

Collare said she ended each letter, "Be smart, be alert, be safe, Love, Mom."

Mark's unit worked to restore the Iraqi police and train the Iraqi army, Collare said.

Kevin's second tour in February 2005 had him stationed in Fallujah, where Mark had been, Collare said.

"He had Mark talk to the men about how to act in Iraq," Collare said. "It helped Kevin's men to know what they were getting into."

She said she liked the idea that one son had helped the other son's unit.

Kevin is hoping to make the military his career, Collare said.

Mark is less sure because of the extensive medical procedures necessary to restore his jaw to be able to hold tooth implants, she said.

Sharon, the Collares' 23-year-old daughter, said she loves her brothers, is proud of them and supports them but wants nothing to do with the military herself. She is studying for her master's degree in criminology at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

"My brothers have good heads on their shoulders," Sharon said and referred to the dangers. "I don't think about it too much. It would drive me crazy."

Reach Caryl Clarke at 771-2032 or caryl@ydr.com.

ABOUT THEM

Kevin Collare

Rank: U.S. Marine Corps sergeant with the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division

Schooling: Bachelor's degree in criminal justice in 2003 from Penn State

Family: Tamara, whom he married 4 years ago, and Gabriel, their 2-year-old son

Home base: Camp Lejeune

Mark Collare

Rank: U.S. Marine Corps corporal with the 8th Regiment, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division

Schooling: York Catholic High School graduate

Family: Married Erin in March

Home base: Camp Lejeune

Ellie