PDA

View Full Version : enuff 'boots on the ground'?

wrbones
03-27-03, 12:23 AM
Does the U.S. have enough "boots on the ground" to occupy a hostile country as large as Iraq?

John Roberts (CBS)

(CBS) CBS News Correspondent John Roberts is traveling with the U.S. Marines making for Baghdad and filed this report from the town of an Nasiriyah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The shattered American armor on the streets of an Nasiriyah says it all. The Marines are dealing with an enemy that is both far more determined -- and far more capable of disrupting their schedule than anyone thought.

And it is an enemy that has quickly adapted to find weak points in America's military might.

For all of its firepower the U.S. Marine Corps can't move very far or very fast without the vast logistics trains behind it to back it up to rearm and re-supply. The Iraqis are employing a strategy in this conflict, trying to tie up those logistics trains preventing the Marines from moving north.

At every point along the roads leading north the Marines have been caught up in fierce firefights. The word from troops on the ground is that rather than regular army troops -- or even militia, they believe they are meeting elements of the Republican Guard that have traveled south to blunt the American offensive.

That may be true -- or not -- but the very mention of it is an indication the opposing force is a tough one.

The Marines moved today to end the bottleneck caused by the weekend battle at an Nasiriyah -- punching thousands of troops and hundreds of vehicles forward. But many of those troops ended up stopping to guard the road against possible attack.

And the Marine unit we are with, which fought a ferocious battle last night, was again heavily engaged tonight.

Pentagon officials today insisted today the war timetable is on track, but the Marines are already at least 36 hours behind their preferred schedule. They are now faced with the prospect of having to protect every inch of a lengthening supply line raising the question, does the U.S. have enough "boots on the ground" to occupy a hostile country as large as Iraq?

İMMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

USMC-FO
03-27-03, 08:30 AM
Easy answer for me--my opinion--is that there ARE NOT enough boots in the sand right now.

There is minimal forces in the western desert and 1000 troops from the 173rd in the north and I hear about 70,000 formed up south of Bagdad. In the south alone we're facing perhaps 120,000 to 150,000 enemy. I was always told you needed a 3 to 1 advanage for any assult on a defended position with interior lines--which the Iraqies have here. Even adding in our clear air advantage, equipment and training advantages I still think we're low with the boots. Makes me ask why the Army 4th Division is only now beinging to move.

jryanjack
03-27-03, 08:40 AM
Agree, I do not think that there are enough ground troops in place. Makes me think that someone underestimated the Iraqi resolve. Also can't help but wonder who actually planned the invasion? I think that we counted on air power too much, maybe have an Air Force Chair of the JCS isn't such a good idea?