PDA

View Full Version : Got my orders

hawks
08-21-07, 05:41 PM
Well, my original plan was to graduate boot camp this summer, whcih I did, on 10 AUG as a 92 day reservist. Next summer I was going to go through PLC then graduate the next spring and be a commissioned officer. But now it looks as if all my plans are on stand by because my reserve station got activated also on 10 AUG and now I have orders to SOI on 9 SEPT, which is basically the worst thing that could have happened for my plans. But as one of my DI's always said "OH FRIGGIN WELL". So yah, my parents are freaking out, my frieneds are all ****ed, but OH FRIGGIN WELL. Not much I can do about it. I just can't wait to get it over with haha.
So any tips for SOI are greatly appreciated, I do not know which company I will be in but I am thinking it is ALPHA company.

jinelson
08-21-07, 07:48 PM
Matt you are not the first of our reservists that has had the exact same thing happen to them. The others have all returned and picked up where they left off. One is actually in OCS now and as he told me he expects to look much better as a butter bar with his campaign ribbons. I can also say from experience that he will be more respected for his knowlege by the Marines he leads. Keep us updated and stay Moto.

Jim

hawks
08-21-07, 08:08 PM
Thank you Jim. I am fine with it, I know it sucks and all that but 'oh friggen well'. One of my drill instructors really motivated me with his stories and such. I just hope my family will be ok, theres been some major health issues in it this summer and this doesn't help. I'm not the first to have this and sure as hell wont be the last.

Marine84
08-21-07, 09:27 PM
Everybody will be fine hawks! They're parents, they're allowed to feel like that. If YOU get excited about it then THEY will - if they see that it scares YOU, then THEY will be scared too. Know what I mean?

And, sorry that your plan isn't working out too well right now. You can always try later - Semper Fi Little Brother

davblay
08-21-07, 10:31 PM
IMO---the best officers we ever had were enlisted first! GO CHESTY! Yeah everything will work out fine, it will make you the better Officer, all in all. Good luck and like Jim said--- keep us posted!

hawks
08-21-07, 11:08 PM
I've basically accepted the fact, its not like its never happened before. This is what we are trained for anyways, I'm actually getting really excited...and its been working pretty damn well as a pick up line lately

yellowwing
08-22-07, 07:32 AM
20+ years later I find myself in the same attitude. Work like hell to solve a problem and wrinkles in a plan. If then there is nothing you can do, relax and suck it up.

If your career plans are OCS later on, keep your eyes open and look and notice how things actually work. Its takes a huge effort to pay, feed, plan, supply, and fight with a Marine Rifle Company.

In your down time in the Sand Box, wander around and buddy with a variety of the support pogues. Find out why the armorer is invaluable, how do those MRE's and ammo get to your FOB. How does Ops and 02 work together.

Over all, after SOI, you will learn that and every Commander owns each and every decision. From 2ndLT to Regimental Commander you will see the effects first hand.

Gosh no, you don't have to brown nose them. Get with their true right hand of NCOs and SNCOs. If you present yourself as true and eager to learn, they will gladly tell you their job and how it works.

Just make sure you show up for SOI in good PT shape. If you present yourself as a fat slob, those NCOs and SNCOs won't give you the time of day.