PDA

View Full Version : 31st MEU Marines get 'dunked' during water survival course

thedrifter
08-21-07, 06:30 AM
To decrease the probability of casualties from helicopter mishaps over water, the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit places an emphasis on qualifying its Marines and Sailors in water survival and aircraft emergency and escape procedures.

Instructors from Survival Systems USA, based out of Camp Hansen here, have been training the MEU’s service members throughout the month of August.

The students first spent several hours in the classroom to discuss using the intermediate passenger helicopter aircrew breathing device and evacuation procedures associated with the Corps’ two main troop-carrying helicopters, the CH-46E Sea Knight and the CH-53E Super Stallion. Then they conducted practical application of these skills in the pool during simulated helicopter crashes.

Robert L. Smith, the Survival Systems site manager, said the main focus of the course is to “provide personnel with the skills necessary to coordinate the evacuation and egress from a ditched helicopter.”

During the classroom portion of the course, individuals learned how to properly execute a brace position, which is meant to stabilize the passenger upon impact during a crash and reduce the profile to flying debris. Another topic stressed was how to correctly utilize the IPHABD, which is a small oxygen tank with a breathing regulator that provides an emergency oxygen source for about two minutes.

During the initial practical application portion of the training at the Camp Hansen pool here, students underwent simulated crashes in the shallow-water egress trainer chair, to simulate how the top-heavy design of helicopters causes them to roll over in the water. Each of the students were strapped into the egress chair and turned over, placing them upside down underwater. After all violent motion ceased, the trainees unbuckled and quickly pulled themselves out from the submerged cage.

After the egress chair, the students practiced breathing underwater with the IPHABD.

Once the students had learned the basic egress fundamentals, they were ready to train in the modular aircraft egress trainer, a helicopter simulator that submerges into the pool and rotates, suspending multiple occupants upside down underwater. The complete rotation is designed to resemble a helicopter striking the water, and because helicopters are top heavy they are likely to turn over upside-down.

They rehearsed jettisoning the emergency exits, pulling themselves out of the MAET, and swimming to the surface.

“It was really awkward because I’m not used to breathing underwater with the breathing device upside down,” said Lance Cpl. Erika Aleman, a radio operator with the MEU. “Although, it took a while for me to get used to it, I’m glad I got to practice now.”

After successfully conducting evacuation procedures from the MAET the course took circumstances to a higher level. Goggles with black lenses were worn to add the element of blindness, simulating a night egress. Eight participants at a time went into the MAET, with two instructors and two safety divers, and practiced egressing while wearing IPHABDs, self-inflating life-preserving units, Kevlar helmets and rifles.

To complete the water portion of the training, the class focused on survival techniques used after an evacuation.

Part of this instruction was the practical application of different water formations. One was a floating chain formation where individuals interlocked their legs behind each other to form a floating chain. Another was the carpet formation, which had the students again interlocked but instead facing each other in two columns. This formation has several advantages, such as providing individuals a 360-degree view, greater warmth and a larger shape in the water for rescuers to see. Lastly, the Marines and sailors learned the protocol of deploying a raft and how to function while in the raft daily.

Upon completion of the training, the Marines were issued certification cards, however, Warren noted that the real measure of success will be their survival in the event of a real-life helicopter crash into the water.

After the service members completed the training, their confidence was increased.

“I think this training is real useful,” said Aleman, a native of New Braunfels, Texas. “It’s given me a new confidence because I was able to practice the procedures allowing me to know what to expect.”

Meanwhile, Staff Sgt. Kwaku Amoakoatta, a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter avionics technician with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 265 (Reinforced), 31st MEU, feels this type of training should be indoctrinated in the most basic of Marine Corps training in one form or another.

“This type of training is very important for Marines and Sailors, especially for those in the aviation field like myself because it’s so easy to take the emergency assets for granted on the aircraft,” said Amoakoatta, an Atlanta native. “The course definitely gives the proper knowledge on how to utilize these assets and how to better survive a helicopter crash.”