PDA

View Full Version : What Do Marines Do

redsox1804
08-19-07, 11:02 AM
Hi, (as stated in my other post) I'm an 18 yr old high school senior whos seriously contemplating (attempting to) join the United States Marine Corps. I have always wondered what a Marine Infantryman (active duty) does when not in a warring country (stationed in Iraq and such). Is it possible to be stationed out of country or do most Marine Infantryman stay stateside at bases here in the U.S.? If the conflivt in Iraq were to end, what would a Marine Infantryman do? Thanks

Respectfully,
Mark

sparkie
08-19-07, 11:13 AM
I sent you a PM,,,read it,,,,, and fill out your profile

Alphaonethree
08-21-07, 11:30 AM
Redsox, Its like this if you want to be a Marine Grunt you can. I was and we trained and then we trained, then we trained some more and when we were done with that, We trained, The we prayed for rain so we could train in the rain. Not taking anything away from my fellow Marines that were not fortunate enough to be a grunt it is indeed the real Marine Corps, All functions of the Marine Corps are secondary and in support of the grunts. It is endless training and PT. It is hurry up and wait. It is not an easy job. You can be stationed overseas but it may not be an option until you have been in a couple of years. Or in my case out od ITS my orders were to go to Japan. OOOPs then the iranian crisi broke out and I got to go to beutiful 29 palms CA. For desert warfair school. What ever you do do your best.

Covey_Rider
08-22-07, 12:28 AM
Alphaonethree is right on the money as far as what you do when you're not directly involved in a conflict. Every Marine has trained/trains for war...Combat MOS's train more then MOS's such as admin but either way you will still do training to go into combat.

On a personal note...I'm the same age as you. I don't turn 19 until January of '08. I'm now stationed in Okinawa Japan, been here for 3 months and I love it. If you decide to join...once in a while you'll wonder why you joined but you'll know, just like we all do, that it was the best decision we ever made. You'll grow up fast. I go back home and look at all the people I grew up with and feel so much older then they do. The experiences and the knowledge that you will gain from being a Marine will stay with you forever. The amount of pride you have in being a Marine is priceless. It's hard to describe it. You'll walk along the streets and you'll be able to recognize a Marine just by the way they carry themselves...and you'll be able to walk up to them and immediately be able to carry on a conversation as if you'd known them for years. It doesn't matter if you're 70 or 17...a Marine is family.

Robert Browell
08-22-07, 07:28 AM
Marine infantry's job,as with all Marines,is to make loud noises,break things,and kill people.When we're not doin that, we're training to do that!! :usmc:

Marine84
08-22-07, 08:02 AM
Marine infantry's job,as with all Marines,is to make loud noises,break things,and kill people.When we're not doin that, we're training to do that!! :usmc:

OOHRAH! And raisin' a little hell along the way!