PDA

View Full Version : marine's letter from iraq

slushy08
03-25-03, 10:56 PM
Letter from Marine In Iraq 'To The Great City of Chicago'
From Chicago Area Marine Fighting In Iraq

CHICAGO -- The following e-mail was sent to NBC5.com from Lance Cpl. Daniel Gomez, a U.S. Marine fighting the war in Iraq. Gomez is from Chicago and graduated from Lane Tech High School. After portions of his e-mail were read on air, many viewers wrote in and asked to see the whole text of the e-mail. Here it is.

To The Great City Of Chicago:

I just read your article on the Marine from Chicago that passed away in the helicopter crash, and I would like to tell you about another Marine from Chicago. My name is Daniel Gomez. I am 22 years old. I am a United States Marine.

I am currently overseas in Kuwait and Iraq helping fight this war. This letter is just to inform you that there is someone from the great city of Chicago out here and that we need all your support...........

I understand a lot of Americans do not wish for war but unfortunately, it is needed. For instance, at first Saddam had stated that he did not have any missiles of mass destruction. But yet, for the past several nights, I have not gotten get much sleep because of missiles being launched at us -- some which contained unknown gases and chemicals.

We were fortunate to have practiced our drills over and over that we all made it safely to our bomb shelters in time. Now we (the U.S. troops) need our fellow American's support behind us.

We are all out here giving our lives for you all, so that you all may enjoy this great freedom that most take for granted. If you search deep down inside and still wish to protest, please do so, but do so peacefully.

I once read, "It is the Marine, not the reporter, that gives us the freedom of the press. It is the Marine, not the poet, that gives us the freedom of speech. It is the Marine who defends the protesters' right to burn the Flag. It is the Marine who salutes the Flag, who serves under the Flags, and whose coffin is covered by the Flag."

Is it not now time to demonstrate that we support our troops? Were it not for the brave, there would be no land of the free.

to read the whole letter go here http://www.nbc5.com/news/2062439/detail.html