PDA

View Full Version : Locating Drill Instructors

kansascdr
08-17-07, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way of locating a Drill Instructor. I went through boot in 69 and have always wanted to meet and thank my Di's for making a knucklehead like myself into a Marine. I hope most Di's know what a solid influence they have been on most Marines.

hmckinley
08-18-07, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way of locating a Drill Instructor. I went through boot in 69 and have always wanted to meet and thank my Di's for making a knucklehead like myself into a Marine. I hope most Di's know what a solid influence they have been on most Marines.
is a terrible thing, WTF are you and WTF are you looking for.

Alphaonethree
08-18-07, 11:29 AM
KAN, You need not thank him, and for a couple of reasons. 1, you thanked him by serving honorably and doing your job as a Marine. 2, the Marine Corps thanked your DI's 2 times per month. Dont thank him for waht you did for yourself he was merly the vessle that channeled your efforts.

jahhead88
09-16-07, 09:58 PM
One way to try to locate them is through the mail call forum of Leatherneck Magazine. I found my senior drill instructor through classmates.com. Go figure. I emailed him. I personally don't see the harm in saying thank you to them; especially if that's how you feel.

Eddie Z
09-18-07, 11:48 AM
The Marine Corps Times also has a classified section where people advertise if they are looking for old friends or platoon members, maybe try there.:iwo:

purpleheart1968
09-20-07, 05:31 PM
I was attached to PLT 1030,23 August1967_31 Oct 1967. The D;Is were really tough,on us lifetime civilians,but we needed ,to wake up,and smell the cofee.As they say,They never promise you a rose garden. My D I;s were Staff Sergents Hayes&Bishop,and Sgt Candlerio.With their realiy checks,every moment of those days at PI,drill into our putty heads,we change,forever, Thank God,and thank them all. I wonder where they can be found. if anyone knows,let me know,at my e mail parris_island67@yahoo.com Roger USMC

Hornytoad
09-21-07, 08:36 AM
I was attached to PLT 1030,23 August1967_31 Oct 1967. The D;Is were really tough,on us lifetime civilians,but we needed ,to wake up,and smell the cofee.As they say,They never promise you a rose garden. My D I;s were Staff Sergents Hayes&Bishop,and Sgt Candlerio.With their realiy checks,every moment of those days at PI,drill into our putty heads,we change,forever, Thank God,and thank them all. I wonder where they can be found. if anyone knows,let me know,at my e mail parris_island67@yahoo.com Roger USMC

speaking of not promising a rose garden..if anyone was trained by that DI in the poster, he still works on the island at the museum gift shop..my SDI told us about it and i met him on family day a week ago.

1Hankpic
09-23-07, 07:46 AM
Speaking of threads....there seems to be a common one running through the subject of DIs. Like most of us, the day we left the Island (that's Parris Island for any Hollywood Marines out there) I promised myself I would never, but never go back to that god forsaken place after finishing bootcamp when I got on the bus to go to Camp Geiger. Yet, those same DIs that gave us hell from the moment we got off the bus were there to shake our hands and wish us well when we left knowing full well that most of us were headed for Viet Nam. Long story short, a few years back I found myself in Georgia on business when I suddenly realized I was about an hour's drive from Beaufort, SC. Yep....you guessed it, as I got to the gate at PI about an hour later and asked the MP if I could cross the bridge he gave me a pass and waved me on. The memories just washed over me as I stood near the parade ground (the grinder) and watched some recruits go through their paces. The echoes and memories of my DI's all came back. Like so many of you I wish I could just thank them all one more time. In many ways, they and the Corps saved my life and made me whatever I am today. I recommend a pilgrimage to the Island to all of you.
God Bless The Magnificent Bastards in Iraq, Afganistan and around the world.